Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

depreciation of the new truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also feel like I need to note that I make my vehicle purchases based completely on whether the vehicle matches my needs and wants. Resale value is never on my mind; I'm not a dealer, so I buy vehicles I want so I can drive the **** out of them, not sell them
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way Id ever buy new. In January of 08 I bought my 06 lbz ccsb 4wd dmax loaded out with all the goodies and 73K miles on it 26OTD so a purchase price of about 23500. The sticker on my truck was 47 and probably drove off the lot around 42. Thats ridiculous depreciation, and Ill take advatange of it every time when I want to get a new vehicle

In February I bought my wife an 09 civic si with nav and all the goodies. It had 40K on it with a sticker of 26 new we got it for 17 with an unlimited mileage warranty on the engine and transmission. So we saved almost 10K, got a great warranty and just had to wait 2 years and 40K miles.

Why anyone would buy new unless the vehicle they want isnt available used is beyond me. Must be nice to have money to just burn. Being the first on to own a vehicle doesnt matter to me as long as its in great condition.

I dont think not being able to pay for it in cash means you cant afford it. Credit is good, you cant pay for everything in cash and if youve got good credit you can get the 0% offers all the time so its free financing why wouldnt you want to do that? We pay triple the note a month on my wifes car and will get it paid off in about a year and half and wont pay but a couple hundred bucks in interest but should something happen and we cant make the normal payment we can cut back to the amount actually due. We also havent taxed our savings buying the car and should something happen we still have a cushion in the bank rather than having to sell a vehicle if hard times hit.

Of course all of that is if youre the average Joe, now if youve just got 10s of thousands in the bank then more power to you. One day I hope to be there too but school and just starting a family are expensive
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just like the smell of a new truck, lol

but i will never buy new again, im sunk in my 07, cant get rid of it... and its getting time for a change...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If nobody bought a new truck, there wouldnt be used ones kicking around to buy. I like the fact I'm the only one who has owned and driven my truck.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
No way Id ever buy new. In January of 08 I bought my 06 lbz ccsb 4wd dmax loaded out with all the goodies and 73K miles on it 26OTD so a purchase price of about 23500. The sticker on my truck was 47 and probably drove off the lot around 42. Thats ridiculous depreciation, and Ill take advatange of it every time when I want to get a new vehicle

In February I bought my wife an 09 civic si with nav and all the goodies. It had 40K on it with a sticker of 26 new we got it for 17 with an unlimited mileage warranty on the engine and transmission. So we saved almost 10K, got a great warranty and just had to wait 2 years and 40K miles.

Why anyone would buy new unless the vehicle they want isnt available used is beyond me. Must be nice to have money to just burn. Being the first on to own a vehicle doesnt matter to me as long as its in great condition.

I dont think not being able to pay for it in cash means you cant afford it. Credit is good, you cant pay for everything in cash and if youve got good credit you can get the 0% offers all the time so its free financing why wouldnt you want to do that? We pay triple the note a month on my wifes car and will get it paid off in about a year and half and wont pay but a couple hundred bucks in interest but should something happen and we cant make the normal payment we can cut back to the amount actually due. We also havent taxed our savings buying the car and should something happen we still have a cushion in the bank rather than having to sell a vehicle if hard times hit.

Of course all of that is if youre the average Joe, now if youve just got 10s of thousands in the bank then more power to you. One day I hope to be there too but school and just starting a family are expensive
I cannot stand the question marks of used vehicles, especially if they have a lot of miles on them (over 20k). With new vehicles I know exactly what has and hasn't been done to it, you can NEVER say that for a used vehicle.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by 91Z28
I cannot stand the question marks of used vehicles, especially if they have a lot of miles on them (over 20k). With new vehicles I know exactly what has and hasn't been done to it, you can NEVER say that for a used vehicle.
Even if the biggest, most expensive part of the vehicle goes out(the engine) you could pay to get it replaced and still be ahead of the game. General knowledge of vehicles and a keen eye will go a long ways. Maybe Ive been lucky but I had an 02 s10 brand new that was in and out of the shop more than all of my other vehicles combined. The next truck I bought was my Z and it had 125K on it when I bought it. I bought it in 04, its an 01 I paid 12500 for it on a 28K truck. The motor was running fine at 180k when I pulled it for a bigger motor. The trans was rebuilt at 140 but that was because I took all the TM out of it. My dmax had 73 on it when I bought it for almost half price too. Its worth the risk for me since it leaves more money for mods. Half the crap on the truck Im going to replace anyway. Youve already killed the warranty on your truck so why is new so important. The safety net of a new vehicle has been removed so it might as well be used.

Thats just my opinion, obviously others have a different feeling. Thats fine with me though since I need you guys to lose your *** on these new trucks so I can buy them for dirt cheap
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

And a new truck has just as much of a chance of being a junkheap as a used one. I've driven and owned enough turds of cars that were new when I got them to quit caring if someone else drove it or not. My 09 Dodge was a pile of junk, the 09 GMC I have from work is a heap, the 06 GMC before that was a flat out lemon and so on. So no, you don't know exactly what you are getting, even new. And I guess if you want to put up with it sitting at the dealer to get fixed when it does grenade and deal with their run around crap and excuses as to why they shouldn't warrant it, power to you. If warranty is really important to you ( it's not to me at all), you can buy a low mile used one and still have it, or buy extended if you are so inclined.

Even if my 05's engine exploded tomorrow I can get a low mile LQ4 for around a $1000..... whooptee doo. Not to mention I have what I want ( changed whatever I didn't really like which was pretty minor) and am into for less than $20K while picking the truck up with 55K on the clock. I bought the truck cash for $15K as well. I have owned enough new ones that it will be never again.

I also don't need the newest, biggest and baddest to impress my neighbor and increase my e-weenie size truck either like so many guys I work with. Like the guy that has over $100K in new vehicles this year ( because his wife needed a car, and he needs a $75K Ford King Ranch diesel to pull his pathetic 21' holiday trailer 2 or 3 times a year that I could pull with any TBI Chevy at still do 70 mph, lol). No he didn't pay cash for anything, he makes a fair chunk less a year than I do, and would be kicking a can in a soup line if his job dried up which in his line of work is a sad reality. I can easily pay cash for a new truck too, but won't. It doesn't make much financial sense and the hit you take in depreciation just isn't worth it to me.

But if you really have to have new, that's great actually, as otherwise there would be no nice used ones for the rest of us to pick up.

Of course, this is just my opinion And I guess keep in mind I am in Alberta too. Used trucks don't have the absolute stupid price tags tacked onto them like they do in the US.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 07-18-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was looking for a used '09-'11 Sierra CC but couldn't find a decent one that was substantially cheaper than a new one. I walked into a dealership, told them what I wanted to pay, and walked out with a new truck for less than what used ones were going for. Used car prices are at the highest levels in 16 years, so now is the time to buy new and sell your used car (I said sell, not trade).
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
GFYS and STFU

I agree with buying used but there are some exceptions. As in my case when I bought my TDI, they just don't depreciate for the first couple years. You can't find them used unless they are 4-5 years old and even then they are only $3-4K less than new. If I was to sell mine right now I'd be eating maybe $500. That's pretty good imo. But that's not true for most new vehicles, hence why I'd say that in general buying used is where it's at but there are some exceptions.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i got mine through a employee discount at invoice. 32k i believe with the options, cant seem to get 24k a year later. im glad i didnt pay the 40k sticker.

Quick Reply: depreciation of the new truck