Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

differences in Sierra and Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe they have different mounts for the tail lights and bumpers for one. not sure though.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
One difference that I have noticed, other than the obvious headlights, grill etc., is that the fender flares are different
The only body panels the trucks share is the cab, doors and tailgate. I wouldn't be looking too hard either if I was in the Cayman Islands though, wonderful place (got married there in Aug 2004).

Can't imagine driving a full size pickup on those roads though!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by niugnep
The only body panels the trucks share is the cab, doors and tailgate. I wouldn't be looking too hard either if I was in the Cayman Islands though, wonderful place (got married there in Aug 2004).

Can't imagine driving a full size pickup on those roads though!!
Are you kidding? You need a big truck to survive around here! I'm thinking of getting a lift kit! We have a lot of Jamaican drivers here and they drive like they live - Aggressive! (I apologise if the truth does not coincide with political correctness!)
BTW: If you think it was nice in August '04, you should see it now. We were nearly wiped out by Hurricane Ivan (@ Cat. 5) in Sept. (04) so we've got lots of new buildings and infrastructure now - even a few new "highways"!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i want to see a gmc with a chevy bed...it would be the best looking truck on the road!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Teching In

The wheel options are a bit different as well.

There is a 17 or 18 wheel that i see only on a few gmc's around here. I like it more then the base alloy chevy wheels but not my z71 18's. I prefer the chevy bed and grill for the nnbs trucks but do like the open look of the earlier gmc grills over chevs. I like the gmc nnbs headlights more then chevy ones but not enough to swap them.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you kidding? You need a big truck to survive around here! I'm thinking of getting a lift kit! We have a lot of Jamaican drivers here and they drive like they live - Aggressive! (I apologise if the truth does not coincide with political correctness!)
BTW: If you think it was nice in August '04, you should see it now. We were nearly wiped out by Hurricane Ivan (@ Cat. 5) in Sept. (04) so we've got lots of new buildings and infrastructure now - even a few new "highways"!
Well maybe they are wider now but I remember driving down very narrow roads with low brick walls on one side, iron gates on the other, no shoulders and not much room...in fact I don't remember seeing a single truck except for delivery or the construction that was going on at the time (big hotels on the beach).

Right after we left the hurricane you mentioned wiped the restaurant where we got married right off the map. We were supposed to get a big conch shell with our names on it when we were there but they were out of stock...then the place got destroyed and we figured well that is that. Two years later the shell showed up in the mail, so imagine our surprise at that!!

Don't remember the owners name but he had a parrot on his shoulder all the time...LOL

Last edited by niugnep; 01-07-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Did you say Cayman Islands... we're on our way!!! And the Jamaican drivers suck ***.

As far as Sierra vs. Silverado, I like them both. I agree that the GMC is the classier of the two vehicles, but the Silverado is the lighter and faster. I'm seriously thinking of buying a new block later this year or next year. I have too much in the Chariot that I'm not willing to give up. Not to mention not having a truck payment is nice.

Last edited by lady3bglover; 01-07-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by niugnep
Well maybe they are wider now but I remember driving down very narrow roads with low brick walls on one side, iron gates on the other, no shoulders and not much room...in fact I don't remember seeing a single truck except for delivery or the construction that was going on at the time (big hotels on the beach).

Right after we left the hurricane you mentioned wiped the restaurant where we got married right off the map. We were supposed to get a big conch shell with our names on it when we were there but they were out of stock...then the place got destroyed and we figured well that is that. Two years later the shell showed up in the mail, so imagine our surprise at that!!

Don't remember the owners name but he had a parrot on his shoulder all the time...LOL
Sounds Like it was the Crows Nest Restaurant which is (used to be) in South Sound, where the roads are small because they're old. All of our newer main roads are built with 15ft minimum width lanes so driving a full sized truck is not a probalem. We probably have the highest per capita number of Silverados in the world but not many Sierras (we actually have more registered vehicles (115,000++) than residents (like 60,000) here), since they have a local Chevrolet dealership but not a GMC one. I have the only new Sierra Denali (and I hope it stays that way!) which is pretty cool.

I'm not sure about the Sierra being heavier though, don't they have the same chassis, drivetrain and body-comparing the same body style? Why would the Sierra weigh more than a similarly equipped Silverado? My GMC has the AWD, so that might make it heavier than a regular 4WD? I love the power of the 6.2 VVT, which I think the Silverado is getting for '09 as well. If I could just get rid of the damn Torque Management that GM programs into the TCM, this thing would really haul ***! I ran a 9.6 sec @73 MPH ET in 1/8th mile the other day, with full weight and a heavy bed rug and 20" D20 wheels. I think that equates to like a 15.1 1/4 mile ET.

One advantage that the Silverado has (at least for now) is that no one makes an aftermarket headlight or tail light for the Sierra (at least not for the Denali), so I'm stuck with the stock lights, which really don't look bad at all.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sierra's are not heavier...nor slower. all differences are strictly cosmetic in nature.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds Like it was the Crows Nest Restaurant which is (used to be) in South Sound, where the roads are small because they're old. All of our newer main roads are built with 15ft minimum width lanes so driving a full sized truck is not a probalem.
I looked it up, it was the cracked conch restaurant actually....no matter, entire island was excellent and I envy you living there (deep snow and about -20 C here for last month!). We were all over tha place though, it could be the south roads I remember, looked to be front yards of a sort.

Assume your truck is LH drive? I wonder if GM even makes RH drive trucks??? Had great fun learning to drive RH roads down there in our rental...you would have laughed (who knows maybe you cussed me out at one time!!LOL)

Quick Reply: differences in Sierra and Silverado