Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

door moldings...off or on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Chevy
This could be the stupiest comment I could have ever heard. Just cause they throw something on a truck with double sided tape makes you NOT want the truck?

And you want me to down grade my truck to a work truck that probably comes with a v6, small ***/gay *** wheels, no steering wheel controls and a whole bunch of other **** just cause you DO not want door moldings? Its not like they are hard to take off. Jesus H.

Also, I don't have no door dings in my truck. I park a little ways from everyone. Little walking never hurt anyone.
Have to agree, I've had my door trim off for about 2 years and have not one door ding to show for it, and I'm not very cautious about where I park anymore.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have any moldings on mine. Its not a WT but it did not come with any moldings, less work for me

I agree about no body lines to break it up, but thats why Im keepin the emblems on it to help with that. Like said above, I park far away from everyone else to help avoid any dings.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

yeah i think once i can get it in the garage i'm gonna pull them off! Def gonna leave the silverado on though...well once i replace the one on the pass door that the braindead at the factory put on with the cali lean lol
Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Teching In

take the emblems off and people will know it's a Silverado.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better with them off. The newer the truck the easier. Many customers would request it at the dealer before taking delivery. I have found this to be the easiest way over the years. First I would soak them with the coldest water I could get. It seems a lot of guys want to go the heat gun way but that turns the double sided tape into a sticky taffy like mess. By getting the tape cold it turns almost brittle. If you get lucky you can take the molding and tape off in 1 pass in a few seconds. I get it started with some really fine strong string. Once you have a few inches off then I use a bondo scraper to hold it out. Then just try to pull it off. If you are doing an older truck or even a year or so it will be much harder. Most likely the tape will stay on the door. Many tool trucks like Snap On sell a tool that go's on a drill. It is shaped like a pancake. Basicly it is a giant eraser. It will not harm the paint at all. It will take off all the tape and residue.
My truck is white and I waited over 2 years. When I removed mine there was noticeable yellow lines on the doors. I had to color sand and polish to remove the lines. Hope this helps anyone considering the removal.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Teching In

finally got a chance 2 pull the truck into the garage between all my other jobs...got my headlights cleared and now getting ready 2 pull the moldings! I'll post up some pics once i get a chance 2 get 2 resprayin the grille!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Teching In

i just took mine off last week, i like it alot better with them off but thats just me.