Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Engine noise, round three...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% certain the pan is lined up with the back of the block as it should be? When I did my 6.0 swap I pulled the pan before install, and reinstalled it with very little rtv, but i was very carefull on pan alignment and never had a drip of oil from it
Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
100% certain the pan is lined up with the back of the block as it should be? When I did my 6.0 swap I pulled the pan before install, and reinstalled it with very little rtv, but i was very carefull on pan alignment and never had a drip of oil from it
I don't know, the dealer is doing the work. It looks ok

I dropped it off today and told them to keep it until it is 100% fixed.
They gave me a rental.
We'll see.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I picked up the truck last evening.

The work order says
" confirmed leak coming from missing crankshaft main cap side bolt,
3 other bolts loose"
They tightened everything and cleaned it up and it seems ok for the short term.

That comes from shiitty workmanship in the first place, when the rebuild was done.
So I have to wonder what else they did an half *** job on.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Seriously? They forget to put in a main bolt? I wouldnt ever go back there....glad its fixed though
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully this is the finally fix for you. If it's any consolation to you when I picked up my truck from the dealer after they replaced the motor, they left a converter bolt loose that ended up hitting the back of the block about a mile down the road from the shop. I crawled underneath the truck to check it out and saw that they crushed my y-pipe and tranny pan flat. Also left my pass. side valve cover loose so it leaked oil all over the place, didn't bleed the coolant system right so it started to overheat after I turned around and went back to the dealer. After I pulled into the dealer went to throw the truck in park and the shifter cable fell off of the tranny.They broke the plastic retainer that holds the cable end on the tranny. I wish I was making this **** up but I'm not. Hope you have good luck with this last visit.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11z71
Hopefully this is the finally fix for you. If it's any consolation to you when I picked up my truck from the dealer after they replaced the motor, they left a converter bolt loose that ended up hitting the back of the block about a mile down the road from the shop. I crawled underneath the truck to check it out and saw that they crushed my y-pipe and tranny pan flat. Also left my pass. side valve cover loose so it leaked oil all over the place, didn't bleed the coolant system right so it started to overheat after I turned around and went back to the dealer. After I pulled into the dealer went to throw the truck in park and the shifter cable fell off of the tranny.They broke the plastic retainer that holds the cable end on the tranny. I wish I was making this **** up but I'm not. Hope you have good luck with this last visit.
Holy crap, that is beyond belief.
There was a level of incompetance at my dealer that wasted a bunch of people"s time
but nothing like you went thru.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow

The work order says
3 other bolts loose"

That comes from shiitty workmanship in the first place, when the rebuild was done.
That really sucks. A mechanic at a shop I worked at once got instantly fired for doing something like that ONCE. At least they documented the carelessness for you just in case you ever decide to complain to GM - but I hope you don't need to ever again.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow

The work order says
3 other bolts loose"

THIS: by 11z71

Woula been a country fight lol..

Good luck in future...i've been lucky so for on both my 08s with trips to dealer for minor work ...
Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGDADDY1969

THIS: by 11z71

Woula been a country fight lol..

Good luck in future...i've been lucky so for on both my 08s with trips to dealer for minor work ...
This is my 6th new GM 1500 and the first I had any trouible with, all from the same dealer.
This time I got the wrong dude working on my truck, but then again they shouldn't have
"wrong dudes" doing engines.

I may trade this one before some other issue arises.

crankshaft main cap side bolt.... what is that anyway and why would it leak oil??
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS engine is a 6 bolt main. There are four big main bolts that go through each main cap that are 15mm. Then on each side there is one 10mm per main cap. These are the bolts that keep the caps from walking anr provide a lot of the strength for the LS motors due to the deep skirt design. Apparently one bolt was missing and couple were loose. That would definitely explain your oil leak problem. Simple fix and probably didn't cause any harm but would still **** me off. They're listed in the main cap tq sequence. Granted they're the last step but someone who does this crap for a living should be on their game.

Quick Reply: Engine noise, round three...