Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

flip kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flip kit

Is there anyways around removing fuel tank for flip kit? Any easier ways...
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I got around it but. I have a post lift and screw jacks to hold the rear axle. I think you could do it with jack stands to hold the truck and two floor jacks for the rear axle then do it one side at a time. The way I did it was remove the rear shackles and hanger brackets from the frame. Do one side at a time to keep from killing yourself. Hold the forward leaf spring bolt with a cresent then use a 21 MM wrench to loosen the nut till it is not touching the frame. Then with take the back of the leaf spring and force it as far outward as you can get then manuever the axle floor jacks until the rear end is on top of the leaf. Then if you are changing the hangers and shackles install them on the leaf spring and lift the spring up into position until you can slip the bolts through the hanger into the the frame.

The biggest trick is having a set of strong jack stands and get the truck as high as you can, Two floor jacks to help hold and manuever and a couple of creepers if you are doing it on the ground.

I highly suggest three people just because it makes it so much easier. Done this way you will not have to remove the gas tank or catback. Taking the trailer hitch off will make replacing the rear spring frame hangers MUUCH easier.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Launching!

I did mine with out dropping the tank. I was on a lift so I dropped both springs and spun the axle on a trans jack. Then three weeks later my cal-tracs came in and I had to drop the tank anyway. I believe that it would be easier to just drop the tank.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

What's,holding the tank in place?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokin sierra
What's,holding the tank in place?
two bolts and straps. its very easy. have a jack under the tank and just loosen the bolts. take the straps off and when you are ready to attack the bolt near the tank push it far towards the driveshaft and get your socket in there and just un bolt it.. you really arent dropping the tank just loosen it so that you can push it away from that area where your bolt is.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAVI05
two bolts and straps. its very easy. have a jack under the tank and just loosen the bolts. take the straps off and when you are ready to attack the bolt near the tank push it far towards the driveshaft and get your socket in there and just un bolt it.. you really arent dropping the tank just loosen it so that you can push it away from that area where your bolt is.
Sounds simple I'm gonna tackle it this afternoon
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled my bed off too... Made things much easier.. for no more work than it was to get the bed off.. just have a few buddies help..