Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Fog Lights on with High Beams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights on with High Beams?

Has anybody figured out how to make the fog lights stay on when you turn the high beams on as well? Just got HID' bulbs and Ballasts for my fog lights and I would like them to stay on at all times. Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

I have mine run as 2 relays for the low beams and fog lights.

I used the passengers low beam power to trip the fogs relay and the drivers low beam power to trip low beams relay. They both have power/ground from the battery.

That way, when my low beams are on, my fogs are on and the highs are totally independent and can be turned on/off whenever. The only thing is that the fogs and lows work together, not one or the other.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 054.8 silverado
I have mine run as 2 relays for the low beams and fog lights.

I used the passengers low beam power to trip the fogs relay and the drivers low beam power to trip low beams relay. They both have power/ground from the battery.

That way, when my low beams are on, my fogs are on and the highs are totally independent and can be turned on/off whenever. The only thing is that the fogs and lows work together, not one or the other.

That was really confusing too me lol. So you ran low beam power to the fog relay? But why did you run the low beam power to the low bean relay shouldn't that already be done?

I also don't mind the fogs always working with the lows.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Okay an HID relay runs off of 5 wires.

1. Power at + battery
2. Ground at - battery
3. A 12v to trip the relay
4. Ballast power
5. 2nd ballast power

HIDs draw a lot of current when they first fire, so its always best to use a relay to power them instead of using stock wiring, which could potentially damage it.
So the relay needs a signal to tell it to "trip", which in this case is either the passengers or drivers sidr low beam power. And once the relay is tripped, it draws power straight from the battery, which is much safer and easier on the electrical system.

So if you use a relay to power the lows, then you have the other side low beam power open, because it only needs one signal to power both ballasts. Now just use anothe relay wired to the other side to trip the fog lights, and now you have power to all 4 ballasts when you turn on the headlights.

Does that make sense?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Yep makes sense. The only difference is my lows are already HID's and are wired to the stock system, So I willl just have too tap into the low beam power. Thanks for the help.