Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My gripe was excessive road noise and shitty wet weather handling on road.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my experience has been the exact opposite. They were on the truck when I bought it new. They survived two Kansas winters and the ice storm that shut the place down for weeks. Never had any issues with traction. Hell, i went driving around to check out the damage and collect firewood. The wife drove off the road once and down a good 150 ft sloped embankment during one ice storm (1/4 in thick that time) because she put on the brakes for some reason. She was able to drive back up the ice covered grassy bank but slide back down cause she had to stop just before the crest due to a truck coming around the corner. This is a 2wd z71 truck.
Didnt notice any wet water traction issues, only that I could finally break the tires loose when it was wet. Never felt like it got loose on the corners when it was wet or that braking suffered. I worked at a dragstrip and made many passes with this truck. Needless to say, they got a few burnouts on them.

I never had a flat. The only damage to these tires is when the wife curbed the drivers rear tire on chunk of broken concrete. it peeled back a section of sidewall that I just cut the remaining piece off and drove another 10,000 miles on. I only got stuck once and that was the last winter I ran on that set. they had 4/32 tread at that time and we went back to kansas (currently in georgia) for christmas. It had started snowing pretty heavy a few hours before we started traveling the backroads from my parents house to the wifes grandparents because it would save us a good 10 miles of driving. We did fine until we reached the only spot that worried me. It's a decent hill that switches back (left turn at the bottom that starts the ascent, then back to the right and a hard left turn to the road towards her grandparents). We got all the way to the right turn section when I just got stopped and started spinning. The snow was up to the front bumper, so I can't blame the tires. Had to back down and get to a road that had already been bladed.

So, needless to say. I replaced the tires at 66,000 miles with a brand new set of AT/S's. They were still at legal tread depth, but had grown to be loud. The tread had gotten to be kind of hard. Felt more plastic than rubber at that point.