Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Gotta Problem--Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Problem--Need Help

gotta problem with my 07 4.8 NNBS RCSB. Been having the issue for a little while.

If I punch it from a roll, say 20-40 mph, when it downshifts to first, then runs up through the power band, at the top of second gear, just before the shift, its like the truck just falls flat on its face for a split second. At first we thought it was hitting the rev limiter just before the shift, but have since taken it to Wheatley and we have 400 RPM between the shift point and rev limiter. It only does this at WOT and only on a 1st gear downshift, when it gets the most out of the power. If I roll into a WOT run from first it won't replicate this issue. If really feels like the power is just cutout for a split second. I can feather the throttle just before the shift and not have it happen also. I have also noticed belt slip just before the shift at that same point, but I wouldn't think that it would be related.

Wheatley thinks it might be the tranny starting to slip. I've never experienced tranny slip so I have no idea what this might feel like, but I have a hard time believing that. Wheatley did not experience the issue I'm having when he re-tuned it so he's just guessing based off of my explanation to him. I usually drive like a grandpa and the truck is lightly modded, I'm not running any Tq Management, but rarely ever go WOT.

Does the tranny slipping feel like slamming on the brakes/losing all power instantly?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Kinda a guess, but it might be the fuel pump... When you roll into the throttle it does not use the transient (pump shot) like it does when you slam on the gas, meaning you use more gas when you stomp on the gas rather than rolling into it. I would rule out the fuel pump by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it...
Old 10-04-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that as a possibility myself. I'll need to check that out.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah, just thought of the best comparison to how it feels when this happens. It feels like hitting the top speed limiter when you have a stock truck.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever figure this out? i have somewhat of the same issue
Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Honestly haven't had the time to look into it yet. It doesn't affect daily driving 99% of the time.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Are your WOT shift qualifiers for just rpm or are they rpm and mph?? You may not be hitting one of those preventing the shift...I have experienced the same in my tahoe, best I can describe it as is a diesel defueling at shift. I have readjusted my WOT shift mph and rpm...problem solved.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 8.1 HD
Are your WOT shift qualifiers for just rpm or are they rpm and mph?? You may not be hitting one of those preventing the shift...I have experienced the same in my tahoe, best I can describe it as is a diesel defueling at shift. I have readjusted my WOT shift mph and rpm...problem solved.
Wow, let us know if this was it.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gmt 900s were having so issue with a power line hitting the headers and burning up and cutting out off and on.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i never had this problem. im on my 2nd engine, 2nd converter and i DD/Race my truck as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Gotta Problem--Need Help