Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Hello I'm new. BBS Air Lift McGaughy's Tekonsha

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello I'm new. BBS Air Lift McGaughy's Tekonsha

Hello. I’m a new member and thought I would post some of what I’ve done on my 2013 GMC Sierra. A lot of the information I have received came from this forum. I thought I wouldn’t buy a GM product again after I traded in My 2006 2500HD 4wd (great truck) on a 2010 Superduty 4wd diesel. I did this out of anger from the government bailing out GM/UAW. Well, after $82,000 (no exaggeration) of warranty repairs, a total of @ 2 months in the shop, and an ongoing lemon law lawsuit later, I bought a 2013 GMC Sierra, reg. cab, reg. bed, 5.3L, w/t , trailer package, 3.42’s, and power locks, windows, and mirrors. The first thing I did was take all the emblems off. The second thing I did was buy a set of barely used BBS 20” wheels with 305/50/20 Goodyear Eagle GTII’s. The wheels still had the protective film. After some research, I purchased a McGaughys 2/4 drop 34034 kit. McGaughys suggested this amount of drop because I told them I do tow with the truck. They also suggested, I purchase an Air Lift set up, which I eventually did. The drop kit consists of spindles, axle flip kit, bump stops, and rear spring hangers. The install was a pain, but I work slow. I did the rear first. I cut the factory bump stops off with a grinder and an air chisel. I also used the air chisel to cut off the rivets holding the spring hangers on. Removed the 4 axle U-bolts. I then unbolted some brake brackets and was able to shift the rear axle from side to side far enough to clear the springs. I did this with the springs still bolted to the front spring mount and the drive shaft still connected. I did this to avoid dropping the gas tank and moving the exhaust. I guess the way McGaughys does the 4” drop axle flip is the flip gives you about 6 inches of drop and the hangers actually “lift” it back up to a total of 4” drop. There are additional holes in the hangers to go 5 inches of drop if you want. All in all, I like the McGaughys rear kit except the grade 5 hardware. The front spindle install was way easier. I also like the McGaughys front spindle kit with one exception. They supply self tapping screws to hold the abs sensor bracket on. I snapped one, stripped the other. I just tack welded it in place. When I was done the wheel alignment was completely messed up so much, I used a tape measure to get it in the ball park to get it to the alignment shop. It aligned just fine. I drove it after the install with the factory wheels. I couldn’t tell the difference in ride quality. I then put on the BBS’s and Goodyear’s, after the trouble of swapping the pressure sensors and rebalancing. The 305-50-20’s are a little big in the front. Slight rubbing in reverse at the extremes. It does look good though. Now the air bags. I purchased Air Lift slam air kit 59209 and the auto air kit 25415. Had some issues. The tool that comes with the kit to align and space the upper and lower brackets (the ones the bags go between) is too short. I used as a guide and a slot in the frame that the instructions referenced to locate the upper bracket. The instructions told of some dowels used to stop the frame rail from crushing as the bolts and nuts are tightened mounting the upper bracket. These were not in the kit. I bolted mine with large reinforcing washers and also welded it. I had to compress the bags only about an inch when installing them. As it turns out with the bags fully inflated the empty truck’s ride height barley changed. The bags maxed out. Real Long story short, I emailed back and forth with Air Lift. They say I should have 4”-6” between the upper (mounted upside-down) and lower bracket, I have 8”. I think this is due to the “lift” hanger of the McGaughys flip kit. Air Lift offered to sell me longer bags, but I think I will be making some lower bag spacers. Also both 90 degree air fittings at the bag leak. They are sending me replacements. As for the smart air, I used the #43 fuse port to tap into for the keyed 12V and I had to modify and weld the height magnet sensor bracket. I also installed a Tekonsha p3 brake controller. No problems installing after hooking up the wires GM has decided to leave disconnected on all trailer packages. If I can help anyone who wants to do any of this let me know and I will try to help. I will post pictures soon. P.S. I did all this with the dealer paper plates still on it, the missus thinks I’m nuts.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Default Some Pics

Hello again. Here are some pics. I just got my windows tinted. I must be having a midlife, lowered truck, tinted windows, I wonder if I have enough hair to grow a mullet? The under hood shot is the compressor, relay, and blow off solenoid valve for the leveling bags (Air Lift). They say don't mount the compressor under the hood. They also say mount it in a dry spot and in a place were it won't get damaged. Maybe the glove box? I just went ahead and did it anyway. The shot of the bag shows the silly spacer I am making because of the problem I had (described above). I will order my Hellwig bars on Fri. I plan on having SSBC brakes in the next few months. Magnuson by mid-summer.
Attached Thumbnails Hello I'm new. BBS Air Lift McGaughy's Tekonsha-dsc01569.jpg   Hello I'm new. BBS Air Lift McGaughy's Tekonsha-dsc01573.jpg   Hello I'm new. BBS Air Lift McGaughy's Tekonsha-dsc01574.jpg   Hello I'm new. BBS Air Lift McGaughy's Tekonsha-dsc01575.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Hello again. I ordered and received my Hellwig sway bars front 7685, adapter 7799, rear 7800. I also ordered a street scenes lower grill 950-76179. I will post my opinion and pics once installed. The total cost of the above items through Summit is $603.62. I purchased everything through Amazon and it was $503.32. Free shipping. Thought I let you know. Later.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

nice and clean . good job , i like the bbs wheels