Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

hid's+stock fog=blinding as hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07NNBSVMAX
Yea I'm at work but I just went and double checked mine and all I see is the mounting screws...

The fog lamps are attached with 3 plastic clips. Squuze them and push through shroud and on the back of fog lamp housing one clip will have an adjuster on them. I'd try one complete rotation towards vehicle to aim light towards road instead of 20' past the curb.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

i am scared to run hid on my fogs i was told that with the heat the housing will start to melt
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lil brother PI
i am scared to run hid on my fogs i was told that with the heat the housing will start to melt
I was told 35w is ok, 55w may do that. I just got a HID kit in my for my fogs, 3000k. Hope they don't melt
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

How about not running them unless there isnt traffic in front of you? I hate cars with aftermarket HIDs, and especially hate trucks with aftermarket HIDs. They blind the hell out of you, and im sitting in a lifted truck with 20% tint on the windshield so I can only imagine how uncomfortable cars are. Its a real safety hazard as far as im concerned.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91Z28
I was told 35w is ok, 55w may do that. I just got a HID kit in my for my fogs, 3000k. Hope they don't melt
No problems with mine. No have 55w 6k lows 35w 6k fogs.
35w fogs and you'll be fine. If u live close to my area let me know. I wanna replace my 6k fogs with 4500k bulbs. 6k is too blue for me.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Launching!

I believe a few posts up I said I don't like blinding people which is why I was wondering what other people were doing. I didn't figure there would be so many guys on here with $25k trucks not running their fogs so I wanted to see what people were doing.

Anyways thanks Brutal I guess I shoulda looked better.. fogs are reaimed and should be good to go, ill find out tonight
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe a few posts up I said I don't like blinding people which is why I was wondering what other people were doing. I didn't figure there would be so many guys on here with $25k trucks not running their fogs so I wanted to see what people were doing.

Anyways thanks Brutal I guess I shoulda looked better.. fogs are reaimed and should be good to go, ill find out tonight
I wish my truck was $25K!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Hey, Dont want to thread jack or step on toes, but i agree that the 35w kits are fine in the housings but the 55w are pushing the luck especially on the new housings of NNBS. I got a bud that does plow installs and custom plow stuff and he told me drilling for strobes in the new gm housings are hell since they crumble and stuff. i told him get a sharper hole saw haha. but, as for blinding other drivers, i have to chime in and agree that it does suck for being the victim of the blue dot stuck in the line of sight from bright aftermarket hid kits in vehicles. Now, ive done a fair amount of research in this one and found that if you have a housing that has a shield that covers the bulb then its going to work well with a hid bulb. if you ever look at OBS headlight assemblies, the bulb just sits in the housing and theres not a reflector that hides it, thus putting a hid bulb in that makes it ungodly hard to see as the truck comes at you. Now, I had that issue, so I went to projector assemblies and aimed down and it was perfect. In most factory hid assemblies, theres a reflector that covers the bulb, controlling the light better. for fogs, theres not a reflector so it cant control the light as good. I want to look for the formula for the paste you see on bulbs at the tip so I can make it and dip my hid tips to help control the light. In the UK it is illegal to install aftermarket hids in unapproved Dot assemblies, and there are specified places to go that specialize in proper aiming of the head lights. Here, there are some areas that say you cant put hids in just any assembly, it has to be dot approved(of course) and certified for that light output. Around me, cops started getting butt hurt about head lights but it calmed down, my NNBS truck has 6k 35w hids, and it looks factory, im comparing it to an escalade for factory light output and beam pattern and to me it looks factory. I too hate being the *** that blinds people but i needed a better light to see since in rain with stock bulbs the road was not adequately lit up. I dont even have a use for high beams, but ive been wanting to make an LED assembly that outputs into a projector... but havent got the time nor funds yet. Look up BMW and their research on laser headlights. they are designing one step further past LED. laser output. just my pennies for thought...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
How about not running them unless there isnt traffic in front of you? I hate cars with aftermarket HIDs, and especially hate trucks with aftermarket HIDs. They blind the hell out of you, and im sitting in a lifted truck with 20% tint on the windshield so I can only imagine how uncomfortable cars are. Its a real safety hazard as far as im concerned.

I feel the same way! But in the end if you can't beat em join em!
I installed mine without having to adjust my lowbeams as I was factory height. Since I added drop shackles and removed the lift block it altered the beam path so I'm adding some drop struts up front to aim them back down lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Ecxactly brutal! Hahaha yea adjusted my lows since I'm leveled. I lowered the fogs as much as I could and still not good. I drove to work, home and back to work tonight with them on and never got flashed but I'm still not happy with them. I can see them shining into peoples cars(notices this half way to work tonight) so maybe I'll retrofit some projector housings or something.

Quick Reply: hid's+stock fog=blinding as hell