Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

I dyno'd my truck today! 2011 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the OP

Turbos are used in small aircraft engines because of the thin air. They help to maintain a more consistent amount of charge air to keep you from dropping out of the sky lol

Btw Im in the Mount Vernon area near Fort Belvoir. Where are you in Lorton? What shop did you get dyno'd at?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, yeah, boost is boost, as far as that goes. But, a positive displacement supercharger is going to take ambient air and compress it "X" number of times. A turbo on the other hand isn't limited by a given internal displacement in the same way - which is why a turbo needs a blow-off valve. Once the rpm's are up and the exhaust flow gets it spinning, no matter what your ambient air pressure, it's gonna build pressure to the limit of the blow-off. The trade-off of the turbo is that you don't get the immediate low- and mid-rpm boost that you would get from a positive displacement supercharger.

At least that's what I think I know. Following that logic I would think a turbo would be better for racing, especially at higher elevations, but I'd pick a supercharger for a daily driver for that instant response. Does that make sense to anybody else?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Well, yeah, boost is boost, as far as that goes. But, a positive displacement supercharger is going to take ambient air and compress it "X" number of times. A turbo on the other hand isn't limited by a given internal displacement in the same way - which is why a turbo needs a blow-off valve. Once the rpm's are up and the exhaust flow gets it spinning, no matter what your ambient air pressure, it's gonna build pressure to the limit of the blow-off. The trade-off of the turbo is that you don't get the immediate low- and mid-rpm boost that you would get from a positive displacement supercharger.

At least that's what I think I know. Following that logic I would think a turbo would be better for racing, especially at higher elevations, but I'd pick a supercharger for a daily driver for that instant response. Does that make sense to anybody else?
A wastegate is what controls the boost level of a turbo. It reroutes the exhaust gas around the turbine, regulating its RPM...A blow off valve releases the pressure that builds up between the turbo compressor wheel and the throttle blade, when the throttle is slammed shut upon deceleration. It is the "squeal" you hear on all the ricers, as they shift gears. They are both needed on a turbo setup.

As for a turbo vs. a supercharger at elevation...A turbo will more easily adapt to changing elevations, since it is boost pressure regulated. If you have the wastegate set to 10psi, it will run 10psi at sea level and at 8000 ft. (provided the turbo is sized properly). The turbo will have to turn more RPM to provide that boost at elevation, however. A supercharger that produces 10psi at sea level will be lucky to produce 6psi at 8000ft. Only way to change that is to run a smaller pulley, but then it will run more boost at sea level.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
A wastegate is what controls the boost level of a turbo. It reroutes the exhaust gas around the turbine, regulating its RPM...A blow off valve releases the pressure that builds up between the turbo compressor wheel and the throttle blade, when the throttle is slammed shut upon deceleration. It is the "squeal" you hear on all the ricers, as they shift gears. They are both needed on a turbo setup.

As for a turbo vs. a supercharger at elevation...A turbo will more easily adapt to changing elevations, since it is boost pressure regulated. If you have the wastegate set to 10psi, it will run 10psi at sea level and at 8000 ft. (provided the turbo is sized properly). The turbo will have to turn more RPM to provide that boost at elevation, however. A supercharger that produces 10psi at sea level will be lucky to produce 6psi at 8000ft. Only way to change that is to run a smaller pulley, but then it will run more boost at sea level.
Aha ... thank you!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls

+1 exactly
Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

ah gotcha........
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mang213
to the OP

Turbos are used in small aircraft engines because of the thin air. They help to maintain a more consistent amount of charge air to keep you from dropping out of the sky lol

Btw Im in the Mount Vernon area near Fort Belvoir. Where are you in Lorton? What shop did you get dyno'd at?
I am about 3 miles away from mount vernon! Lets meet up! PM incoming!