Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Katzkin or roadwire leather int.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Katzkin or roadwire leather int.

Does anyone here have either katzkin or a roadwire leather kit installed in their truck. How does it feel compared to stock gm and leather in say a lexus or a benz. My parents have a unnamed import vehicle and the leather in it is soft as butter and friggin awesome the leather in my sierra not so. I'm kickin around changing it out but I want a really top notch leather that is soft and just feels nice.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Does anyone here have either katzkin or a roadwire leather kit installed in their truck. How does it feel compared to stock gm and leather in say a lexus or a benz. My parents have a unnamed import vehicle and the leather in it is soft as butter and friggin awesome the leather in my sierra not so. I'm kickin around changing it out but I want a really top notch leather that is soft and just feels nice.
I had Katzkin in my F150( yes i know i did own one ) i liked it the leather smelled nice and the texture was okish but the head rest and the rear seats looked saggy i just re did my leather on my 2011 Denali turned out nice way better than the factory ones but these where hand cut and stitched looks sweet!!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't remember what company mine is. It was not katzkin tho. And its very soft. Way better then factory leather
Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Man Motor club

You should name the import, may help track down the quality level
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjwz28
You should name the import, may help track down the quality level

working on it now. to the OP if your ever around northeast houston you can check mine out if interested, also a shop around north houston did the install.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 62nalide
I had Katzkin in my F150( yes i know i did own one ) i liked it the leather smelled nice and the texture was okish but the head rest and the rear seats looked saggy i just re did my leather on my 2011 Denali turned out nice way better than the factory ones but these where hand cut and stitched looks sweet!!!!
Post some pics of your interior... Also wanting to do the same thing as the difference between my leather and the GM vynal seems to be almost none. The factory "leather" straight up sucks. Like I honostly would pay the extra $$$ to have real leather. I know katzkinz has really stepped up there game with quality and materials but also interested to see what else is out there. I want real luxury seats that I hav to condition every day lol.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

As the others have said the factory "pleather" is about as comfy as the garbage school bus seats I used to have to sit on when I was a kid. And I mean this for every GM factory leather truck from the GMT400's onward.....

I have had experience with 2 katzkin setups and both were very nice. One had suede inserts in the center as well so it looked better than the factory offerings, not to mention the stitching. The leather is actually leather and it's soft to sit in. It also seems to stand up better as far as tearing and cracking, whereas the factory junk splits for fun along the sides where you get in regularily. I think my buddies '11 SLT had 6000 miles on it when the drivers seat cover split on the side down near the plastic....... pathetic. No matter what leather it should be taken care of but sometimes...... really...... LOL.

In fact...... we had some GMT900 company rigs converted from factory cloth to a vinyl based cover because the guys work in coal mines. Honestly..... it's softer and more comfortable than GM's supposed leather, lol. I don't remember the brand of those covers unfortunately but the quality of them was also very good. Just peel off the factory cloth and replace, like Katzkin.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anybody found a source for new factory padding? The truck I'm looking at has a lot of wear on the drivers side bolster and I'll most likely go the katzkin route.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Katzkin in my '10 Silverado RCSB... great fit/finish. A lot better quality than my brother's OEM leather in his '11 LTZ Tahoe

Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a ML550 benz SUV. My parents drove suburbans for years when it was time to buy their 8th one they drove a new burban then came home with a benz

On the flip side it was about the same price and the interior is twice as nice as any suburban. I rode in it for a pretty good while this weekend and the damm leather in my truck just really sucks after getting to drive and sit on some real quality hides for most of the weekend.

Quick Reply: Katzkin or roadwire leather int.