Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Looking to upgrade my brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade my brakes.

I'm wanting to change out my front brakes. Is it ideal to buy slotted and drilled rotors if I don't do hard core braking? Or should I just go with drilled and upgrade to some really good pads.

I've looked around and not really sure what do get and if I need to upgrade/change other parts out for different rotors to work.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much are you willing to spend?

I myself have drilled and slotted disks, with some posi-quiete ceramic pads. No squeaks whatsoever. OEM pads wears out a lot faster, and I hate them.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

unless your truck is secretly a track driven super car with carbon brakes, stick with a blank rotor and a good set of pads. Napa rotors and Hawk HPS pads are all you really need.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered some centric power slotted rotors and hawk super duty pads, I'll report back my results

Last edited by tiffo60; 01-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock ones were junk after 34k miles, tossed on some Wagner ultra quiets with the stock rotors and made a good difference over the stockers. Next time around ill probably get some slotted rotors(only because theyre the same price or a hair cheaper than oem).
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the cheaper drilled rotors crack from heat. I would recommend some power slots. I have some with on the front of my 02 with some Hawk pads and they work great. I need to buy some rotors for the rear since I have new pads sitting on the shelf.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, I need to replace my front rotors. They are badly warped lol. May keep an eye on this to see what feed back is like
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
unless your truck is secretly a track driven super car with carbon brakes, stick with a blank rotor and a good set of pads. Napa rotors and Hawk HPS pads are all you really need.
I see what you are saying but what is wrong with going with a little better rotor/pad set up?

I'm not talking about 6 piston stop on a dime set up. Slotted/drilled rotors for better hear displacement and some better pads for more stopping power.

I'm not wanting to spend a lot but what ever is fairly price I'll look at.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Where are you guys buying the slotted or drilled rotors that are cheaper than OEM. GM rotor is 73 bucks so where are you guys finding slotted for cheaper. Also, I have used a regular rotor and EBC greenstuff 6000 series pads and boy what a difference, though it was on my 98 plus they lasted twice as long as other regular pads. Now, ive been noticing that most people around here are using Hawk pads and not EBC when it comes to performance braking solutions. Are these Hawks really what they are cracked up to be? I loved the EBC's since they gave no dust and even with stupid teenage style driving in the OBS and hard stopping i never got fade. I have been recommending EBC pads a lot, but curious about hawks now and what series you guys use. I hate the OE pads, they came glazed from the dealer and oh man do they squeek and growl. my rotor is nice and flat and almost mirror from it, and before i bought the truck ( my 07) they did a $400 brake job of new pads cut and clean rotors and inspect everything else. they failed to burnish the pads though and yeah. So how would you compare Hawk to EBC? and where are you seeing good slotted rotors at the same rate as OE because I see slotted pairs at 200+
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure how true this is but I've always heard upgrading brake lines to braided lines helps quite a bit also.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade my brakes.