Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

loud whine through 1st gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud whine through 1st gear.

Well here in the past 2 weeks I have noticed when Im stopped and then start to accelerate my truck makes a whining noise. I believe that It may be my asp pulley, since the first time I installed the pulley it made the same noise and I fixed it by changing out to a different belt. It will make the noise all through first gear then stop. Im going to put the stock under drive pulley on this weekend to see if that's the problem or not. Im also thinking it could maybe be my transmission or stock tq. But it seems to shift fine the trans hasn't shown any signs of it going out. Has anybody had this problem or could maybe help me out with this? Im a little stumped
Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Probably belt slip with the ASP. What type of belts did you use? I hear the gatorback belts help with this, but I've never had the issue with any of my ASP equipped trucks.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive never had that problem at all. i had an UD crank pulley on my 6.2 and i spin it to 7k with no issues.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Well ive had it installed for about 6 months now, the first belt I had on there made the same noise that Its currently making now. I may go buy another belt to see if that may be the problem. But if its not ill take the pulley off.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM

are you using the belt that it calls for or a cheap belt that crosses numbers with the one you would normally buy? check and see if the belt is worn or has a lot of belt dust anywhere on the motor. that tells if its belt slip. if it continues id be happy to buy it depending the price
Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I've read alot of folks through the years with belt slip, seems to be the consensus that the gatorback belts help. But you might also look to make sure everything is in spec. With yours being newer I wouldn't think that the tensioner would be bad, but I guess it could happen. Also make sure that the crank pulley isn't backing off, and that its seated properly. Has it been making the noise since you installed the ASP?

Check for unusual wear on the belts if you haven't already done that.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Well the first belt that I had on the pulley was the gatorback, but for some reason that belt made a loud whine. I think the pulley may be backing off because it isn't flush with the block. It only made noise when I had the gatorback belt on, after that I replaced it. Then about two weeks ago it started making the same noise. 06tx4.8(kasey) and I are going to try and figure out what It is on saturday, I'm more then positive that its the pulley it cant be my transmission because it shifts fine and the truck accelerates fine as well.. If anybody has any other input that would be great, every body on here is always a great help!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM

ok, answer me this. what crank bolt did you use? reused your stock one? upgraded to an ARP? did you buy a new stock crank bolt? how did you put it on? you should have about 1/8-3/16" from the back of the pulley to the seal. if it's more than that your bolt is backing out and you need to pull the bolt and see what's going on. i dunno how you put it on or what you did. i didnt use loc-tite or anything of that sort. i also torqued mine by a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1 1/4" wrench and pulled the crap out of it. thats the same way i break the crank bolt loose, so i go about the same force tightening it as i did pulling it off. some may say im crazy and this is the wrong way to do it, but my way works perfect for me. im a diesel mechanic and this is the same way i put the final drives together on our CAT D6/953s, and old school D5s
Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the noise coming from the front of the truck or the back? If its the front im gonna guess it has something to do with the pulley and if its coming from the back im gonna say its your rear end making the noise lets just hope its the pulley unless you wanna upgrade to some 4.10 gears
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I was going to ask the same as iamkeniff about the bolt and how you installed the pulley. I'd bet that to be the problem.

Quick Reply: loud whine through 1st gear.