Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

loud whine through 1st gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SILVERBIRCH
Is the noise coming from the front of the truck or the back? If its the front im gonna guess it has something to do with the pulley and if its coming from the back im gonna say its your rear end making the noise lets just hope its the pulley unless you wanna upgrade to some 4.10 gears
It really sounds like its coming from the front of the truck. I'm hoping its not the rear end that would suck leo but some 4.10s would be nice lol Im going to try to see if I can find out the problem tomorrow.

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
ok, answer me this. what crank bolt did you use? reused your stock one? upgraded to an ARP? did you buy a new stock crank bolt? how did you put it on? you should have about 1/8-3/16" from the back of the pulley to the seal. if it's more than that your bolt is backing out and you need to pull the bolt and see what's going on. i dunno how you put it on or what you did. i didnt use loc-tite or anything of that sort. i also torqued mine by a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1 1/4" wrench and pulled the crap out of it. thats the same way i break the crank bolt loose, so i go about the same force tightening it as i did pulling it off. some may say im crazy and this is the wrong way to do it, but my way works perfect for me. im a diesel mechanic and this is the same way i put the final drives together on our CAT D6/953s, and old school D5s
I did use the ARP bolt. When we installed the pulley we used loctite as well and we also used a breaker bar exactly like you did to make sure the bolt was tight! I also tried changing belts last night and the belt wasn't the issue. So im thinking the pulley may have backed off a little for some reason, or I may be having other issues and It may not be the pulley. Im going to tackle this problem tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Im hoping its nothing to major.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you notice the space between the pulley and the seal?
try this, take the AC belt off, run just the drive belt have someone rev it for you as you listen. if your your not seeing any belt dust, or your belt isnt eatten up i am going to say its a tensioner. possibly the AC belt one bc your putting so much force on the tensioner you may have started pulling the threads out of the tensioner. shi man if u was closer id have it figured out already.

remove the AC belt, go drive or rev it up.
remove main belt and put it in gear and "foot brake" as many rpm as you can get. by revving it/stalling it you should hear the whine bc its a motor problem not a driveline problem. if you hear nothing take it down the road a lil to see if it whines with no belts.
thatll solve the guessing imo
Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Was it a new pulley or used?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by L33Z71
Was it a new pulley or used?
mines used, and i never had a problem with mine. i had a horrible whine on my LSx swap W/T and it was bc i broke the tensioner.

but like i said, if it's driving you nutts send me a price shipped and we'll work something out. i need an UD pulley for my W/T then it'll be a full bolt on 5.3 lol
Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, can you give more detail about when it occurs? Do you notice in first gear only or all gears?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
OP, can you give more detail about when it occurs? Do you notice in first gear only or all gears?
Originally Posted by WHITE5.3L
It will make the noise all through first gear then stop.
its hard to pinpoint the problem when we really dunno whats going on
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^Agreed.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM

if need be man, call me up and maybe i can hear whats going on
Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 PM

so what was the problem buddy?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Got some updates I put the stock pulley back on the truck thursday night and the problem is not the pulley. It is something in the trans either my tq or something. Bc now even when im in park I can hear thr whine and its coming from the trandmission. So ill be putting my stock set of ecu/tcu and taking the truck to the dealer on monday.

Quick Reply: loud whine through 1st gear.