GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Low Oil Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 AM
RNM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure Issue

So I recently replaced my L76 with a L92 6.2. Ever since the swap I've had problems with my stabilitrac and traction control. From what I have been told, due to the codes being thrown, the truck is throwing itself into (fail-safe mode) causing the "service stabilitrac, service traction control" lights to come on. When this happens the truck shifts extremely hard.

Now this seems to be consistent being that it happens everyday, however, more so when the truck is warmed up really well. Example. If the "service stabilitrac, service traction control" light comes on first thing in the A.M from the day before, it will soon go off. Then the truck shifts fine. After a while when it warms up it will come back on and stay on.

The codes are (engine oil pressure sensor,low circuit) and (cam shaft postion timing over advanced, bank one) Those are the only codes being thrown.

When I did the swap I had a TSP ported oil pump installed along with rear main seal and all bearings etc.

From what I read, the problem could lie with the oil pump o ring. I am not loosing any oil, so not sure if this is really the issue or not, but supposedly with this particular oil pump, they have had problems with the o ring slipping out at installation.

For all that will ask, Yes, I have replaced the sensor, twice and still the code is coming on.

Anyone have any similar problems, or heard of anything. Thanks for your help in advance. Rodney
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Launching!

what color o-ring did you use for your pick up tube? can you tune the traction control to be off?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have low oil pressure or just the code? You got the cam position actuator plugged in? I'm wondering if your having a VVT problem, It could throw the timing code and might lead to the oil pressure code too.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
RNM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SlickSierra
what color o-ring did you use for your pick up tube? can you tune the traction control to be off?
I'm not sure of the color, but I know it can't be tuned out due to it being in the body control module
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 PM
RNM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Do you have low oil pressure or just the code? You got the cam position actuator plugged in? I'm wondering if your having a VVT problem, It could throw the timing code and might lead to the oil pressure code too.
I'm not sure, what would be a way to check the actual engine oil pressure vs what the sensor is showing? I'll check on the cam position actuator tomorrow to make sure its plugged in. And yea it is very possible it is a VVT problem. I'll know more this week.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had an O ring problem once. I took the oil cooler bypass block off and drilled and tapped it for 1/4 npt and installed a gauge to compare. I had NO oil pressures and it was the o-ring.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM
RNM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fredkj3
i had an O ring problem once. I took the oil cooler bypass block off and drilled and tapped it for 1/4 npt and installed a gauge to compare. I had NO oil pressures and it was the o-ring.
Im going to try this tomorrow, thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
RNM
Teching In

Ok, so I forgot to mention.....When I recently replaced the radiator in my truck the stock fitting for the oil cooler would not tighten down on my aftermarket radiator, so we just bypassed the oil cooler all together.

Does anyone think that bypassing the oilcooler could be causing the oil to thin out too much i.e causing me to loose a slight bit of pressure?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah i wouls that would cause to drop in pressure some,but how much did drop to chevy runs on 40-50 psi thats bout advanage
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Just .02 cents, when i installed my headers, it was late and i drove back to my house open headers, no 02 sensors plugged in... And i was throwing all sorts of damn stabilitrak and traction controle warnings, got the exhaust welded up... Plugged in the sensors... And no more problems,

Your post just reminded me of that night... I figured it must have been a circuit or ground i was interrupting running those connectors unplugged... Never dug into the issue due to the fact that it just went away...

07nnbs

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure Issue