Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

LT Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam swap is really not all that hard. You just have to be systematic about how you do things and take ur time and think things through...just remember Im a senior master ford Technician...I do way crazier things than just cam swaps. So I may make things seem easier than they are for people who dont do this type of work on a regular basis.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Leecostruck
Cam swap is really not all that hard. You just have to be systematic about how you do things and take ur time and think things through...just remember Im a senior master ford Technician...I do way crazier things than just cam swaps. So I may make things seem easier than they are for people who dont do this type of work on a regular basis.
I just haven't done one yet so i don't want to say i can do it ya know.
Damn that ford is gutted, do you work for a chop shop? lol Where abouts do you live? I seen that chevy tucked away in the back corner.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Sometimes I feel like I work in a chopshop...lol. I can damn near disassemble a whole truck in a day if need be. That particular truck needs a motor and you have to pull the cab to tear it down to the shortblock on a 6.4 powerstroke. The truck was too long with the flatbed on it for us to close the shop doors so we had to push the rest of the truck out. I live in a small *** town called Sour Lake. But I work in port arthur at a ford dealer. The chevy in the corner belongs to another technician. Only one of our techs drives a non gm product and he drives a Mazda. He is a economy car guy and says gm economy cars a junky so he has no choice. Funny that he drives a Mazda but won't drive a ford for the same reason he won't drive a gm car...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sometimes I feel like I work in a chopshop...lol. I can damn near disassemble a whole truck in a day if need be. That particular truck needs a motor and you have to pull the cab to tear it down to the shortblock on a 6.4 powerstroke. The truck was too long with the flatbed on it for us to close the shop doors so we had to push the rest of the truck out. I live in a small *** town called Sour Lake. But I work in port arthur at a ford dealer. The chevy in the corner belongs to another technician. Only one of our techs drives a non gm product and he drives a Mazda. He is a economy car guy and says gm economy cars a junky so he has no choice. Funny that he drives a Mazda but won't drive a ford for the same reason he won't drive a gm car...
BUt mazda is a ford product isn't it?

All their cars and tricks match fords.

Like chevy s10 and isuzu trucks
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yes that's why his reasons for driving a Mazda don't make sense....lol it doesn't matter I just find it funny how almost everyone in the service department drives gm.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes that's why his reasons for driving a Mazda don't make sense....lol it doesn't matter I just find it funny how almost everyone in the service department drives gm.
Working for Ford service dept is job security!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

For now... Ford has stepped up their quality in the last year or so and the new diesel isn't having many problems. It's got me a little worried right now but we will see how the next few years go. I drove a new 2011 Harley davidson 6.2 today and short of it being a ford and having ugly striping on the outside the inside is beautifully done and the shift strategy in the tcm is way better than the shift strategy in my truck. If you didn't know the ford 6 speed and the gm 6 speed are almost identical inside and are essentially the same trans. I just think gm either has too much torque management built in or the trans is poorly programmed for fuel economy. The trans in the ford shifted a lot later and would kick down easier than my truck does. Power wise it felt about the same except for the ford seemed to not derate the engine as much during shifts and power would come back a lot faster after the shift. Seems like gm really left a lot on the table programming wise with this transmission and hasnt spent near the time refining their product like they used to. I think ford has really taken Advantage of gm's bankruptcy and cutbacks and spent time to work with and refine their vehicles a bit more than they used to. I can't wait to see what gm's new truck design will be. Hopefully it won't have the same bland interiors gm is known for I'm sure the powertrain will be well built.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i have heard rumors of a 7L motor and the front ends looking like the 2500hd's I wish the transmission didnt have to much tm but i guess it's there for a reason! I wouldlike to see a shoot out between the two! I hope gm starts to put the quality back into their products like they used too. GM interiors are bland but way better then the dodges. They seem down right boring to me. lol ( hope you don't have a dodge lol)
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Won't own anything but gm till they have to sell out to a company in another country and keep the trend going. Then I will be forced to drive a dodge or Ferd. Seems like that's the thing to do for big corporations is build a great company and then sell out to another country and let them have some of our freedom. They don't care if they sell our freedom out from under us bit by bit. I know my truck isn't 100% made in America but the money I pay for it stays in America and it keeps an American employed as well as the fact it's as close to American I can get.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Won't own anything but gm till they have to sell out to a company in another country and keep the trend going. Then I will be forced to drive a dodge or Ferd. Seems like that's the thing to do for big corporations is build a great company and then sell out to another country and let them have some of our freedom. They don't care if they sell our freedom out from under us bit by bit. I know my truck isn't 100% made in America but the money I pay for it stays in America and it keeps an American employed as well as the fact it's as close to American I can get.
That's one of the things I asked about when I started truck shopping, as I had heard for years that many GM vehicles were made in Mexico and Canada. I was struggling with the idea of a GM made out of the country compared to a Japanese brand pickup built in the USA. When the guy told me what I wanted would be built in Indiana, that sealed the deal for me.

Quick Reply: LT Headers