GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Mast VVT Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Iraq Sucks
Don't understand that CI, I picked up 43hp and 27lbs. ft. after tuning the same cam. Picked up respectively at the track. Only issue we had was valvetrain noise between 2800-3200rpm under the right conditions, inspection of problem proved it's not affesting anything though.
Thanks, man! This is the best news I've heard in a while! Was that Rear Wheel HP? If so, that's pretty impressive. How much did it pick up at the track?
Who did your tuning? Do you know whether they did anything to the phaser tune, like change the amount of timing or the shape of the curve etc?
I would be happy to pay you for a copy of that tune, if you don't mind.
PM me if you're interested in selling a copy of your tune. Thanks again.

BTW: Against my better judgment and totally second-guessing myself, I am going to pull the timing cover off the truck this weekend, just to make absolutely sure that the timing marks aren't off by a tooth or so. The added difficulty with the VVT cam is that when you are installing the cam gear/phaser assembly with the engine still in a vehicle, the phaser is so big that you can't see the timing mark. I did have someone I trust check the mark to see that it was lined up (straight down) with the dot on the crank gear from below the vehicle. I'm sure this isn't the problem, but I will sleep easier knowing I've eliminated that for sure. I will report back and keep you all posted.
I still don't feel any better about Mast's lack of customer support though.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Yeah thats at the wheels...picked up right at 3 tenths after tuning. Not sure about the tune but I'll look into it and see how much it would be for you to get a copy of it. Now that I have a converter I'm running 8.40's at 83.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Iraq Sucks
Yeah thats at the wheels...picked up right at 3 tenths after tuning. Not sure about the tune but I'll look into it and see how much it would be for you to get a copy of it. Now that I have a converter I'm running 8.40's at 83.
Damn, That's impressive. That tells me that I'm not seeing the benefit of this cam. My best N/A time is still 8.7 (I can't remember the trap speed - the one in the sig is before the cam).
Let me know about the tune. If it works better for you, I would be happy to pay your tuner for an e-mail tune if that works better. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I pulled the timing cover off on the weekend and confirmed that the cam was installed correctly. The marks on the phaser/cam gear and the crank sprocket were lined up perfectly in accordance with GM's install instructions. So, another day of work wasted and still no progress.
What I've realized is that Mast doesn't include a spec sheet with their cam. If I had a spec sheet, I could have confirmed what the cam timing was relative to TDC by using a cam degreeing kit. I have installed all sorts of cams from various manufacturers in many vehicles over the years, and I have never seen one that doesn't come wth a spec sheet. That's the least you should get when you spend over 400bucks for a cam, IMO.
I'm hoping I can find a tune for this POS soon, or I might just pull it out and throw it in the garbage and buy a Comp cam.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Hey CI, any updates on this? thinking about a cam...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I too am interested in any updates on your truck and your cam issues. I purchased a comp cam for my truck and chose to keep it vvt but after reading all of this i am almost thinking of ditching it, however it is good to see that "iraq sucks" is having good reviews from his. I too tried contacting mast and they are horrible.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Can the VVT be disabled through the tuning so it will not mess with the timing?

This could possibly let you get a good baseline on the cam and then start start to play with the VVT variables once you have a baseline to start from without the VVT.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 AM
cam
TECH Addict

A LOT of VVT related info has surfaced since this thread began. My guess is in C1 DENALI's case that the cam core was for the wrong phaser. GM uses two different phasers that have different advance/retard capacities so if you dont match the cam core to the corresponding phaser you'll end up with a whole mess of confusion and no power. There have been quite a few guys who fell into this pit unfortunately but now we know better so be cautious when ordering cams. You have to verify the PN off your phaser first before ordering a cam so you get one that will work properly with your VVT set up.

This thread I have linked below has a wealth of VVT info so check it out. Look at post #27 for links to the different phasers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-vvt-cams.html