Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Mine Caught Fire Too!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine Caught Fire Too!!!

So I went to a local shop to get my converter swapped. The swap was done, oil was filled. Truck turned on, and it didnt move.??! So the mechanic went under the truck and my guess he removed the trans fluid lines and it hit the starter cable and it just went in flames!! BATTERY WAS NOT DISCONNECTED!! Fire was put out, and the only damage visible was the fluid lines fused to each other and cracked. First thing that came to mind was, "Mine Too??!!! WTF!!!" this was last night, i hope they fix it.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

WTF?! Some mechanic! I installed my converter myself last month and the first thing I did was disconnect the battery, simply because I knew I had to move the starter to get at the converter bolts. If I hadn't disconnected the battery cable, it would have probably burnt down long before I got the transmisson lines disconnected!! Hope your truck is ok man.
Something doesn't make sense here - If the truck didn't move it after he "filled" it ( not sure how he could do that before he started the truck) w/ ATF, it must have still been really low on oil or the converter isn't fully engaged in the pump (which probably means he f@cked up your transmission). Hope he has good insurance!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks don't it? I was driving through town when mine happened. I'm so glad I keep a fire extinguisher with me or my truck could have burnt up much much worse.

I lucked out and only lost some convoluted tubing, a few wires, the hood insulation, oil dipstick, and my fuel pressure sensor.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got my truck back, and it felt like it was mis-firing. so i checked the spark plug wires and one was loose. i put it back but it feels like it sputters a bit. the truck is tuned with the y-pipe and right now it is open headers. the y had to get cut to get the transmission down. could it b that its really lean and its throwing off the 02 sensors?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

WTF man! Sounds like the turnout was better than mine.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by blackjack325
got my truck back, and it felt like it was mis-firing. so i checked the spark plug wires and one was loose. i put it back but it feels like it sputters a bit. the truck is tuned with the y-pipe and right now it is open headers. the y had to get cut to get the transmission down. could it b that its really lean and its throwing off the 02 sensors?
if it's open headers right now it's actually running rich.
the o2 sensors are right at the end of the collector. it's sensing the free air and adding fuel most probably.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

im getting my extinguisher ... Espeacilly with TX heats.. down here..
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im gonna hit the muffler shop first thing in the morning! i hope that clears the sputtering my truck is doin, and that way i can slam the gas and c what the converter did for me!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats messed up. I installed my converter by myself and had no idea what I was doing. My friend guided me through it by text and I didnt have any problems. You'd think a shop would do a better job with the experience and all..
Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I do carry a fire extinguisher with me at all times now tho for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Mine Caught Fire Too!!!