Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

!!!NEED HELP!!! 2009 Powertrain Swap into 2007 Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!NEED HELP!!! 2009 Powertrain Swap into 2007 Body

Alright Guys, so to make a story short that been going on for months now, bought a 09 Escalade AWD Fully loaded, slightly smash on the front bumper to rebuilt, bought in the US to export it to Canada, repaired the damn truck then I've try to get the safety on it, popped out as a Flooded vehicule, part of the law in Canada you Cannot plate a car that as been branded as flooded vehicule. So this truck turn out to be a Part only vehicule. After arguing with the Auction Company they did good and refunded me a good part of the vehicule and bought it as part only...

So now basically Am having a 09 Escalade with 40 000 Miles on it, that run great and cannot get it plated. So after months of research found a 2007 Escalade with 220 000 Miles on it (See where am going with this...) for CHEAP so am looking into buying it and swap the entire power train.

1st Problem am having my truck has the L9H in it and the other one the L92, do I only have to swap intake and exhaust manifold to get it to work?

2nd Problem : Apparently as per the scrap year am dealing with 09 Tranny aren't the same as the 07-08 is that right? Are they interchangable?

Any other problem you guys might be seeing I would appreciate it, and if that could be quick cuz at the price this guy is selling is 07 Escalade it won't stay there for long...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the 09 a 6 speed transmission?
since you have the donor vehicle and its literally the same one.
I'd take the complete engine, trans, t-case AND wiring harness and swap it into your 07.
you may need a tune for a couple of small things but that's not a big deal
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM

I was reading a little bit about it and it seem that the Fuel rail as a return and the 09 doesn't, also swapping the entire PCM would it create issue with the BCM? Having a L92 BCM with a L9H PCM? I just don't want to run into an issue that ok since you replace this you have to replace the entire Body control harness to the dash , then you ended up with something else coming on...

From what I've read so far, Injector are bigger cuz of the E85 , Fuel pump might be stronger again cuz of the E85.

Haven't figured out why the tranny from the 09+ wouldn't fit the 07 they are both 6L80, I've look with the Interchange Manual from the scrap yard, and it says that they are not interchangable... Wondering why...
Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh man, what a lousy headache this is turning into. My sympathies.

Any chance you could say "screw it," smash all the computers and throw in a big block with a 6-71 and a Muncie rockcrusher?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM

Well the plan would be to Swap the powertrain, get it running and try to flip it for about 20k$ trying to explain the whole process to the potential buyer...

Cuz am basically screwed with a freaking un-platable vehicule...So that's why I need the other 07 to get a platable truck... And like I said , i don't like the idea of the Cabin swap
Old 08-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Alright so here's what I figured out so far before even getting myself into this mess.

Fuel pump is the same, difference is the fuel pressure sensor
Intake Manifold is the same
TB is different
Map sensor is different from the 2 Engines
Engine Oil Sensor is Different
and the Front 02 Sensors are differents...

So If i would be swapping all the sensors from the L92 to the L9H

Would this work...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
I'd take the complete engine, trans, t-case AND wiring harness and swap it into your 07.
This is what I would do. Take the frame off and swap all the best mech parts between the two ( flood one was smashed yes? ) and most of the harness will be plug and play if you go this route. Make sure you swap all three computers as well from the flood truck to the other one, the ECM, TCM, and BCM and all the gauges etc. should fire right up

As for the manifolds and intake etc? Meh bolt em up, use whatevers easier.

Plan on a tune afterward and possible a Tech2 flash from the dealer and you'll be all set.

What a pain in the *** though man.... ufff sorry to hear.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:57 PM

Alright so truck should arrive somewhere next week...

So so far that how I figured out how the swap will go

Transfer intake manifold with fuel rail from the L92 to the L9H (l9h have bigger injector for the E85)
Transfer all the engine sensors from the l92 to the l9h in order to keep the l92 pcm

Transfer O2 from the l92 on the l9h exhaust manifold (newer and cleaner equipment)

So my guess it should fire up with not issues if am keeping the original setup of the truck but with a newer block... As per interchange manual, block are the same , head as well , however oil pan is different but oil pump is the same... The book says that the oil sensor is different (doesnt mention which oil sensor they are talking about the pressure or oil level...) but my guess is that the oil level sensor is different with maybe a different thread so that would explain the oil pan difference...

Anyway If someone have info on this matter all input is greatly appreciated and i will post picture as the swap goes

Thanks everyone
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 AM
cam
TECH Addict

IIRC the oil pan difference is a bypass valve for the AFM system. Its poop you dont want that, use the L92 pan
Old 09-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Didn`t know that the L9H used AFM, i thought it was the L94 that had AFM.

Gasket also is different, are you sure that the L92 Oilpan will fit on the L9h?

Also just ordered a Tech2 China Repro (399 $) that might help with some reprogramming issue I might encounter

The 09 has cooled seat and the 07 hasn`t so might be looking into a swap of seat as well, will see when the truck arrive if it has the option AN3 which is supposed to be the wiring for heated and cooled seat.

Can`t wait to see that freaking truck rollin

Quick Reply: !!!NEED HELP!!! 2009 Powertrain Swap into 2007 Body