Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Need help Upgrading Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need help Upgrading Fuel System

Ok, so after a trip to the part store and some research on here I learned that my 08 (Non Flex) has a "non serviceable" filter and returnless style fuel system.

I'm wanting to know what you guys are doing to upgrade this.

My truck is getting Horrible gas mileage and every know and then I can feel a slight shake or studder when its at idle.

Also, what is the big black box next to the fuel tank? Is there any way to get around all this BS?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what I had in mind...

Anything that has to do with the Stock Fuel System, I want it gone.

I want to delete the Evap and get rid of the stock pump so I'm wondering if I can get a Walbro 255 (or similar) to put in-tank and from there use the stock lines and plumb into an Areomotive (or similar) Regulator and do a Return Style System.

Has anyone done this or am I gonna have to figure this out on my own?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Teching In

2 things I want to have:

External fuel filter and
Easy access to fuel pump
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
Ok, so after a trip to the part store and some research on here I learned that my 08 (Non Flex) has a "non serviceable" filter and returnless style fuel system.

I'm wanting to know what you guys are doing to upgrade this.

My truck is getting Horrible gas mileage and every know and then I can feel a slight shake or studder when its at idle.

Also, what is the big black box next to the fuel tank? Is there any way to get around all this BS?
Are you talking about the EVAP canister?? No need to delete it..I guess you can and have it tuned out. Mine works fine though.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm working on an NNBS fuel system now. Having issues finding the right fittings, but I'll post up on how it works when its finished. What sort of power are you looking to hit anyway? The stock pump runs to about 600rwhp before it chokes out.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by av08
2 things I want to have:

External fuel filter and
Easy access to fuel pump
I second this.

Originally Posted by scooter k
Are you talking about the EVAP canister?? No need to delete it..I guess you can and have it tuned out. Mine works fine though.
Yeah I figured out what it was. I should have known but I was having one of those days lol. Everyone says they haven't had problems with thiers so I might leave it just so it's one less thing I have to mess with.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I'm working on an NNBS fuel system now. Having issues finding the right fittings, but I'll post up on how it works when its finished. What sort of power are you looking to hit anyway? The stock pump runs to about 600rwhp before it chokes out.
I won't be over 600 anytime soon. I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with my truck. It seems like anytime I go anywhere I have to put gas in it. The mpg is terrible so I was thinking maybe a bad fuel filter but then found out they are un-serviceable. I want to have an In-tank pump with an external filter that can be changed when it gets dirty. I don't know what GM was thinking when they done this but thier engineer needs to be kicked in the *** for this one.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen peolpe talking about having to Hard Wire in the 255, how do you go about this? Can I just pull the stock sending unit, wire in the 255 and run an external filter and regulator and convert this to a Return Style Setup?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NNBS trucks run a varible voltage pump. It sends more voltage to it as you accelerate to send more fuel. You cant just drop in a walbro and go, it will burn up from not having 12+ volts to it constantly.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongmc
The NNBS trucks run a varible voltage pump. It sends more voltage to it as you accelerate to send more fuel. You cant just drop in a walbro and go, it will burn up from not having 12+ volts to it constantly.
He's right. I've done it. lol

You can tune that out though...

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
I won't be over 600 anytime soon. I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with my truck. It seems like anytime I go anywhere I have to put gas in it. The mpg is terrible so I was thinking maybe a bad fuel filter but then found out they are un-serviceable. I want to have an In-tank pump with an external filter that can be changed when it gets dirty. I don't know what GM was thinking when they done this but thier engineer needs to be kicked in the *** for this one.
With the way these trucks are set up, you shouldn't be getting worse mileage with a clogged filter. Unless its dropping pressure below like 25psi, then you might run into some issues. But you'd figure that out by going lean at WOT long before you noticed bad mileage.
What makes you think it is the filter?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love or hate the fuel system on your truck, I doubt its causing your mileage to suffer. What kind of mpgs are getting? How many miles on the truck? Is the check engine light on?

Quick Reply: Need help Upgrading Fuel System