Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

NNBS battery/electrical problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NNBS battery/electrical problem??

Ive got a NNBS 07 2500hd, probably once a week I get in, try to start and the truck is dead. Go check the battery, 13v, nothing getting to the truck. Tighten the positive cable and it cranks right up, week later same thing, just the cable isnt lose.....Anyone else have this problem? Thought maybe it was a battery defect, but swapped batteries and same problem
Old 10-16-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had my truck do it a handful of times too, never figured out what it was and hasnt happen again in a while. I would go out to my truck to start it and it was dead, had to open the door with the key, popped the hood, jiggled the battery cable(didnt have a 10mm socket/wrench on me), shut the hood and tried the key and it started right up. Never did figure it out, had a brand new battery in the truck at the time and it never had any issue starting right after it happened either.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Two things... The 175 amp fuse on the passenger side firewall... Or ur
Battery cable... Mine was the fuse that had corrosion
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverado1ss89
Two things... The 175 amp fuse on the passenger side firewall... Or ur
Battery cable... Mine was the fuse that had corrosion
Didnt have an issue with either in my case, nothing was actually done to fix it and luckily it hasnt happened again. I looked at both the fuse/cables thinking something could have been intermittent enough to still start but didnt find anything.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
Ive had my truck do it a handful of times too, never figured out what it was and hasnt happen again in a while. I would go out to my truck to start it and it was dead, had to open the door with the key, popped the hood, jiggled the battery cable(didnt have a 10mm socket/wrench on me), shut the hood and tried the key and it started right up. Never did figure it out, had a brand new battery in the truck at the time and it never had any issue starting right after it happened either.
Leatherman.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

replace the battery cables, same thing happend to me
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

i've had a couple instances of "turn key-no start".

jump in, hit the key, nothing. everything else works, radio lights etc, just no response from the starter.

turn the key to start 20-25 times, and the starter will eventually cough a couple times, and then start right up.

truck only has 33,650 on it, wtf is up with this issue?

and then other times, my radio won't come on. no power to it at all. i checked the fuse on the back of the head unit, and i checked the fuse in the fuse box, both good.

this has happened with the stock radio, and my pioneer avh-p4200dvd that i installed. after about an hour or so, it works just fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

gremlins/// when you feed them after dark they are tricky little bastards

Check and wiggle shake all of your battery connections. Then pull the under hood power center block out and inspect where the large red battery wire comes into the block assembly. I have had 3 trucks in recent months with identical complaints as you all have stated and found the quick connect connector they they use on the battery cable to UBEC assembly absolutely fried. So damm melted I was surprised the damm trucks would even run to make it through the door. Especially bad in damp weather and rain.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

updates did you find and solve the problem?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had this happen with me and it was because the positive cable on the starter came loose. id pull on the cable at the battery and itd work

Quick Reply: NNBS battery/electrical problem??