Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

No oil pressure and knocking noise???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No oil pressure and knocking noise???

Good afternoon L&G's,

I recently started hearing a little tapping noise but i looked at the oil pressure it was fine but still been playing close attention to it. So this morning i started the truck this am and the knocking noise was louder than usual when the chime went off i noticed it was pretty loud then it displayed low oil pressure when I looked at the dash it was displaying no oil pressure so i turned it off quick... I am really worried i hope I didn't mess up my engine. Could it be my oil pump? Please help thanks!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

UPDATE: oil pump was changed and oil pressure is up actually better then before but still knocking at idle revs and idles fine just a slight knock
Old 08-30-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

Is the knock lower end or valve train?

If valve train, it will be half the speed of the crank. A lower end knock will have already screwed the motor and the oil will be full of glitter. It will also be far louder if it's a spun bearing knock.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Teching In

To me it sounds lower but a couple buddies of mine said it can be a cam bearing i guess its just time to pull it apart or do an engine swap...
Old 08-31-2015, 02:29 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Low oil or no oil usually takes out the cam and/or the lifters on these trucks.

Sometimes it will spin the cam bearings and some times it will cause a lifter to fail.

One way or the another you will have to either let some one diagnose it or tear into it and see what you can find.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Quickest way to narrow it down would be to jerk the cam out. That will tell you if its lifter or bearing issues. Also, remove and cut your oil filter. Look for trash.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Quickest way to narrow it down would be to jerk the cam out. That will tell you if its lifter or bearing issues. Also, remove and cut your oil filter. Look for trash.

Thanks! I am going to do an oil change this weekemd the see if i see anything in the oil and i will cut the filter as well...
Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Update: so bite the bullet and pulled the block apart and like my mechanic said it was the first lifter on the driver side and it had some damage to it... Also the came suffered damage so i went ahead and ordered ALL bearings new, Cam, every last seal/gasket, piston rings, one motor mount was bad to i bought both brandnew, oil pump, and water pump. According to the dealer cam and bearings are different in order to avoid what happen. It was a recall on these engines therefore problem has been corrected and i can really tell the difference in the bearings because the hole is way smaller then the original OEM one.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Glad to hear you found the issue.

Theses engines don't like to be run low on oil.

When they are, it usually takes the cam out.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Well i was told it was. Common issue with the LC9's due to it shutting down 4 cylinders on highway... As per the mechanic and dealer the cam has been changed because of that issue as well as the bearings the hole on them are smaller so it builds more pressure and lubricants better.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure and knocking noise???