Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

not what i was really expecting

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by landon1405
well i am thinking about getting rid of the programmer for a custom tune but i dont want to lose the ability to put the factory tune back in if i got warranty issues bc that would have been a waste of money for a new warranty when they dropped in the new motor lol. i dont know exactly how all these tuners do their tuning but i got to be able to pull it if i have issues and need to take it in. as for how the two trucks stacked up i figured the wheels and maybe cab setup had some to due with it. i just expected to pull a little harder on him than what i did. i dont plan on making it anything faster...well maybe a little bit more. i think a set of shorty headers and a underdrive pulley with a new tune would wake it up enough to satisfy me and be done with it. i dont want to spend to much more on it bc i got a ls powered foxbody to start working on haha

Your best investment would be tuning software..
And no shorties, no power difference in those vs stock manifolds. Go long tubes or nothing at all.

Plus you could use the tuning software to do the foxbody.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was just looking at blackbear and i like that i can just keep my old pcm and swap out if i need to for warranty so they might just be my answer on the tune. i have heard a bunch of people say that shorties do flow more than factory. i was reading some testing on long tubes vs shorties and both headers made pretty much the same power just the long tubes held it for a 1000 rpm longer or so before dropping off (seen this on couple magazine all sticking to one brand so its not a shootout of brands. then the cost comes into play again by the time i put a new y pipe in i will be out more money than what its worth for the few extra ponies. i guess i am just still playing with ideas but a tune is in the near future for sure. mustang wont need a computer bc its getting carbed
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

well i stand corrected i seen another couple test that show these trucks really do respond to the long tubes. mybad
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
By in tune programmer do you mean a hand held setup??

Get rid of the TB spacer and get a real tune and that truck will react a whole lot differently
X2 what this guys said

2011 5.3L with a hand held was 17rwhp short when we dyno tuned it big difference
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

companies sponsor/pay magazies. most of them are useless. take 90% of what you read in magazines and wipe your *** with it.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

well i wouldnt see how it would help them if they are using brand x only on both long and short tube. would be more understandable if they was comparing brand x vs brand y. but i do agree some of these deals are rigged lol
Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dynos dont tell the whole story either..
put it on the track and your MPH tells the whole tale..
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
companies sponsor/pay magazies. most of them are useless. take 90% of what you read in magazines and wipe your *** with it.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

yeah till the guy with a slower mph blows your doors off and leaves you scratching your head lol.. on a track mph dont tell everything either until you put some e.t's with it and compare to old runs. but yeah i see where your going with the statement lol
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landon1405
yeah till the guy with a slower mph blows your doors off and leaves you scratching your head lol.. on a track mph dont tell everything either until you put some e.t's with it and compare to old runs. but yeah i see where your going with the statement lol
MPH at the track will always tell if you are making more rwhp. E.T. is the result of traction along with trap speed.

Quick Reply: not what i was really expecting