Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

observations on my new 2011's first hunting season

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default observations on my new 2011's first hunting season

Just some thoughts to share after taking the new pickup into the Oregon Coast Range for its first five-day elk hunt. Most of these impressions are in comparison to the '99 Silverado ecsb 4x4 5.3 I traded in on this rig, but also the half-dozen other trucks I've used there over the last 30 years.

- The Black Bear tuned () 6.2's power, torque and flexibility are fantastic.

- Gas mileage is damn near the same as the lighter, weaker '99; I averaged 18.5 highway and 12.5 on country roads + off-highway.

- The 6L80 is equally fantastic with just the right gear for every situation including highway, mountain roads, gravel logging roads, old cat-roads, up or down hill, fast or slow. I only had to use low range 4x4 two or three times when I really needed the low speed control (high-pucker-factor areas).

- The "auto" 4x4 works perfectly and is completely transparent. I only locked it into regular 4x4 for better control in the bad areas (muddy, steep AND narrow).

- I was really glad I raised it 2.25" and stuffed 33's under it for the extra ground clearance. At stock height it would have struggled in a few places.

- I got really comfortable with the thumb shifter in "M" mode, and loved using it.

- The defog setting is nice when you really don't need defrost, and very effective even in foggy/rainy weather with a couple soaking-wet hunters in the truck.

- Whoever designed the '99 with no rear door on the driver's side ought to be publicly flogged. With the 2011 it was totally easy and convenient to access all the gear in the back seat from either side. What a difference!

- The backup camera came in pretty damn handy a few times.

- I liked the BFG Rugged Terrains I put on it for almost everything, but they were noticeably less effective in real mud than the All Terrain K/O's I had on the '99.

My only regret is we didn't get any blood in it this year, but we'll try again.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing! This year has been the first hunting season for my truck as well and it has performed amazingly!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HollowWatcher
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing! This year has been the first hunting season for my truck as well and it has performed amazingly!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice phil! The only hunting i've done in my truck was for races!!

two weeks ago i got set up for a race against a new 5.3CC with a nasty cam.
He was bone stock except a very healthy cam... Was a easy kill to say the least.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

I'm enjoying mine also. Although they ride like a Caddy, it slings mud much more efficient! Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra

two weeks ago i got set up for a race against a new 5.3CC with a nasty cam.
He was bone stock except a very healthy cam... Was a easy kill to say the least.
It would take a lot more than just a cam, nasty or not!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John02SS
Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine.
THAT would work!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Phil
Bummer you didnt get to get blood on your hands,coast range hunting isnt for sissys,steep and thick is all I can say.Guess you will be buying beef and not eating backstrap .You sound please with your performance over your 99,for sure they are a step up.Happy holidays to you and your family
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just took my new truck for it's first hunting trip yesterday down near Canyonville (Oregon) and generally was pretty happy. Glad that I had put my 2" leveling kit in the day before as there were a few areas I would not have gone otherwise.

I'm generally happy with my new truck but the fuel mileage off road seems pretty bad but most of my miles were 15 mph or less...I'd guess about 8 or so mpg. Next time I'll reset the onboard computer to get an actual number.

Does your truck have that weird whine sometimes in 4 auto and 4wd? My tundra and my brother in laws older chevy don't do this.

Also how happy are you with your BB tune and did it improve your fuel mileage?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
.Happy holidays to you and your family
And to you and yours, Gonzo!

Quick Reply: observations on my new 2011's first hunting season