Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

observations on my new 2011's first hunting season

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8hunter
I just took my new truck for it's first hunting trip yesterday down near Canyonville (Oregon) and generally was pretty happy. Glad that I had put my 2" leveling kit in the day before as there were a few areas I would not have gone otherwise.

I'm generally happy with my new truck but the fuel mileage off road seems pretty bad but most of my miles were 15 mph or less...I'd guess about 8 or so mpg. Next time I'll reset the onboard computer to get an actual number.

Does your truck have that weird whine sometimes in 4 auto and 4wd? My tundra and my brother in laws older chevy don't do this.

Also how happy are you with your BB tune and did it improve your fuel mileage?

Thanks in advance
Glad you like your new toy too! My lift was a leveling kit also - ReadyLIFT 2.25" front and 1" rear. It really made a difference.

Mine does make that occasional whine in Auto or 4x4, but it's just barely audible so it didn't bother me. It was a LOT quieter than the gear whine in any of the other 4x4 Chevy trucks I've used for the same kind of driving over the years.

I like the BB tune a lot, but it doesn't have much to do with gas mileage: my size-14 lead right foot is totally in charge of that! The only problem with the tune is that it makes the truck feel a lot more "eager" and I'm usually willing to encourage that behavior, which tends to make the gas mileage go down just a little. I'd bet that if you had a computer driving it, the mileage wouldn't change at all.

Most of the places we hunt involved a 30-60 mile commute on pavement before we would get to the bad roads and off-road stuff, so I didn't test just the slow 4x4 driving by itself. I averaged 12.5 on those days we hunted, resetting the computer every time I filled up at the end of the day.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the BB tune a lot, but it doesn't have much to do with gas mileage: my size-14 lead right foot is totally in charge of that! The only problem with the tune is that it makes the truck feel a lot more "eager" and I'm usually willing to encourage that behavior,

LOL

its true a tune will make them feel eager,well described
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
I like the BB tune a lot, but it doesn't have much to do with gas mileage: my size-14 lead right foot is totally in charge of that! The only problem with the tune is that it makes the truck feel a lot more "eager" and I'm usually willing to encourage that behavior,

LOL

its true a tune will make them feel eager,well described
Thank you!