Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

obx long tube headers for the 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
Sorry to dig up an old thread but the long tube headers that fit up to the 06 model 4x4 trucks would they also fit 07+?

Im lookin at a 6.2 denali for the family ride and would like to toss a set of long tubes, CAI, get the rest of the exhaust done, as well as a dyno tune. i saw the actual obx ones and the kooks and ARH set ups but thats damn expensive ya know but i like the fact of 3 inch collectors and the larger primaries.

Im not lookin to make huge power but add a touch and help with highway mileage<--thats the main concern for me.
Holy thread bumper batman O_o lol.

I use to have obx headers on my 06 GMC Sierra CC 5.3L. I loved them, seems sufficent enough for a bolt on 323CI motor. I would say that a 1 3/4 headers and atleast a 3in collector for a 6.2L motor, especially one making 400+hp. So with that in mind Pacesetters fit the bill quite nicely, I just received a pair for my 6.2L Sierra and they are excellent quality for the $$$. I just don't see paying 800+ $$$ for headers when pacesetters do the job just as well (I paid 365$ shipped to my door from amazon). Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JetBlack98Z
Holy thread bumper batman O_o lol.

I use to have obx headers on my 06 GMC Sierra CC 5.3L. I loved them, seems sufficent enough for a bolt on 323CI motor. I would say that a 1 3/4 headers and atleast a 3in collector for a 6.2L motor, especially one making 400+hp. So with that in mind Pacesetters fit the bill quite nicely, I just received a pair for my 6.2L Sierra and they are excellent quality for the $$$. I just don't see paying 800+ $$$ for headers when pacesetters do the job just as well (I paid 365$ shipped to my door from amazon). Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.
Steven did you get coated headers? And no Y pipe right?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Steven did you get coated headers? And no Y pipe right?
Yes and yes. Im going to get Deer park muffler to make a 3in Y-pipe with the Flowmaster Merger I bought.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet thanks man, and yes i didnt mean to stir up old **** but i was curious HAHA.

I take it the 6.2 is a y-pipe then or is it a true dual setup feeding into a single inlet muffler or a dual in single out muffler?

I am lookin at the long tubes catted 3" y-pipe and for now a muffler replacment from hushpower or so(not too loud you see with the long tubes and high flow cats, later will come a dual exit full exhaust), cold air intake, and either the dyno tune or a blackbear or equivelant tune with the autocal ive read about which i dont actually know what it is(run on sentence haha). Is the autocal like the EFI v2.

Yes i want to bump power but mileage is my concern here as well as better pep for fun and city driving, plus better breathing in and out as well as a more efficient tune will help with mileage.

I read somewhere a mail order is cheaper but is it as good as a dyno tune, the truck will be used between Texas and Arizona due to trips home to Texas on leave.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
Sweet thanks man, and yes i didnt mean to stir up old **** but i was curious HAHA.

I take it the 6.2 is a y-pipe then or is it a true dual setup feeding into a single inlet muffler or a dual in single out muffler?

I am lookin at the long tubes catted 3" y-pipe and for now a muffler replacment from hushpower or so(not too loud you see with the long tubes and high flow cats, later will come a dual exit full exhaust), cold air intake, and either the dyno tune or a blackbear or equivelant tune with the autocal ive read about which i dont actually know what it is(run on sentence haha). Is the autocal like the EFI v2.

Yes i want to bump power but mileage is my concern here as well as better pep for fun and city driving, plus better breathing in and out as well as a more efficient tune will help with mileage.

I read somewhere a mail order is cheaper but is it as good as a dyno tune, the truck will be used between Texas and Arizona due to trips home to Texas on leave.
You know thats the awesome thing about these trucks, after I did my full bolt on's on my 06 GMC Crew cab I actually got BETTER MPG's than when i was stock. I would push around 14city and 19highway, after the Intake tube,K&N,OBX LT's and Tune I was pushing around 15city and 21highway, its because everybody gets so happy with that extra power at there disposal lol.

I don't know to many tuners in the AZ area, so it sounds like the AUTO cal is your best/cheapest option, here in houston there is tons of options. I was actually going to go for the Hushpower Series muffler, but they don't make a 3 1/2 inlet muffler and yes the 6.2's have the same y-pipe design as the 4.8's/5.3's.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool thanks bud.