Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\ Excellent point
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember it when your truck is stolen. They'll know where it is. And they'll tell you without even having service with them. Push the blue button.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Man Motor club

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
Remember it when your truck is stolen. They'll know where it is. And they'll tell you without even having service with them. Push the blue button.
Yes, make sure you push the blue button in your stolen truck to find out where it is

On another note, I was told that they will not do anything for you once your subscription expires. If you get in an accident or your vehicle is stolen, your service must be reactivated prior to them doing anything about it. Otherwise what would be the point of them charging for their services if they're going to provide them whether you pay or not?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Yes, make sure you push the blue button in your stolen truck to find out where it is

On another note, I was told that they will not do anything for you once your subscription expires. If you get in an accident or your vehicle is stolen, your service must be reactivated prior to them doing anything about it. Otherwise what would be the point of them charging for their services if they're going to provide them whether you pay or not?
I know for a fact that when my truck was stolen, they would have located it IF the OnStar device hadn't been deactivated by the previous owner and never reactivated it by me. That is what the lady at OnStar said when I talked to her standing in an empty parkinglot.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Man Motor club

He physically disabled the device?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

He physically disabled the device?
He called and disabled it is what she said before he traded it in.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

my truck doesn't have onstar...

guess i'm lucky.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Man Motor club

Exactly. He called and cancelled, and you didn't renew, therefore she couldn't tell you where your truck was. If you had paid to have the service reactivated, then they would have tracked your stolen truck. OnStar is a business offering a service; just like any other business, their goal is to make money.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Man Motor club

Phil posted this in another thread so I thought I would put it here for those subscribed:
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-brother-plans
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

There are other ways of finding out the shape of a vehicle, like a thorough mechanical inspection. I don't like the idea of anybody being able to randomly track me without my permission. Yes I know that cell phones have a similar issue, but it's something I've come to terms with to stay easily connected and such. However, there is no advantage for me in my truck reporting my behavior to somebody else. And before you go off thinking I'm just a lawbreaker who doesn't want to get caught, I'm an LEO.
Probably a resale value thing for them if they can "prove" that the vehicle was driven nicely when it's traded in, just like having all the maintenance records.

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
Who do you know that has been warned? Are they a member on here? they "shouldn't" be just watching you randomly saying oh look how fast he is driving!!!!!!!

Maybe if the car has been reported stolen i can see it but i have never heard of someone 1st hand being warned by Onstar. It's always i know someone who...

A customer I drove home at one of my old jobs... GMT800 diesel, he had onstar call him and tell him if he continues driving at excessive speeds his warranty will be voided.... But every time he was on he highway, he drove foot to the floor and maxed it out. He's the only person I've actually talked to that's had it happen.

If onstar warns me about something I'll attempt to record it... I doubt it, though because my warranty is almost up... Well, technically already voided... BB Tuned

Quick Reply: Onstar