Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

out side air temp/6 guage cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out side air temp/6 guage cluster?

im thinking bout getting a 6 guage cluster for my pkup and was wondering if the outside air temp would work since im just a 4 guage cluster with the wt trim package? does any body have the part number for the 6 guage bezel with the chrome rings?

Last edited by KIFER88; 02-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try an swap a cluster from a buddy with the 6 gauge cluster
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

a hell of a theory ther chief but one problem all my buddys round here seem to be poor and are just finally geting into the nbs world or ther blue oval lovers (need cooler freinds i know) gona have to do some more digging to find a solution just thought id reach out and see if some one knew off hand..
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Launching!

ther blue oval lovers (need cooler freinds i know)

sounds like im in the same boat. all my friends diss my bowtie.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im poor too lol.

um ask a gm tech?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

no i sure havnt yet wish one would chime in for me n say yay r na.. i did however ask a company on ebay that had 6 guage clusters and this is what they said. All existing functions will work correctly, if you don?t have the sensors in place for the temp it will not work.

when i did my hd front end i found the temp sensor rite by the radiator on the right hand side the dumb 4 guage set up will tel me caution may be icy when temps are in that range so i would have to say it outa work

as far as the poor part after my ls swap in my old pkup gets done which is in progress now my nose has to head back to the grind stone and stay of this site (too many ideas not enuf money)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

According to my books the base level truck hvac module still uses a ambient air temp sensor for it's logic. The instrument cluster then reads the ambient temp off of the databus from the HVAC control module so it should work as soon as new cluster is put in.

Now here is the kicker if the new cluster is flashed for your VIN it may or may not appear because the calibrations in the IP cluster do not tell it to look for a ambient temp sensor off the bus. But it could possibly work right off the bat as well

So what you need to do is find a truck with the 6 gauge cluster but as close as you can get to your truck in options and have it flashed for that VIN

Heres where I'm going any 6 gauge cluster will plug in a display the temp BUT if that cluster is programmed for rear park assist, trailer brakes traction control etc and your truck does not have those options the DIC is going to be going nuckin futs displaying warnings that those systems are offline because they are not present.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

thanks 01WS6/tamu best info ive got so far. suppose if i get u my vin that u could find what options it has for sure. or is ther a good place to look that up my self?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It's just visible options mostly pw pdl pwr mirrors dual or single zone hvac pretty much it for the WT level trucks. I know your truck has the sensor installed from the factory. You just got to find a cluster flash it and see if it works. They make the WT trucks with 6 gauge option so I would hunt around for a VIN of a like equipped truck have it flashed to that VIN and then install the DIC button panel at the same time and it will probably work right off the bat.

Quick Reply: out side air temp/6 guage cluster?