Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Ported L92s - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd leave the heads alone personally. Those heads flow a lot as is, and if you start opening up the runner volume I'd worry about losing velocity and midrange torque.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston129
I'd leave the heads alone personally. Those heads flow a lot as is, and if you start opening up the runner volume I'd worry about losing velocity and midrange torque.
Thanks for the input preston. That is what I am looking for some reasons why cost is not worth it or etc. Maybe ill just cam and stall it and then boost it later... Question on your truck, I see your cam'ed and S/C and you got your cam from EPS. Did you do DOD delete then? My next thinking was VVT cam and would it work boosted or would I want to get away from VVT?

As a side note I looked at SDPC and Texas speed for L92 options and price was roughly in the $1300-1550 range depending on valves. I believe TS will cut some cost off the price if you return your heads and with SDPC you could of course sell them yourself. Guess I am going to read into head flow some more but I think I am deciding to move away from it and just cam swap. Although if I S/C or midmount the headwork would be advantages. So many possibilities... I love america.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

I looked at your build thread, saw it say you went AFM delete. guess i should have realized you were a 5.3l based on the vette servo in you sign meaning 4 speed.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah no more AFM for me, it's very limiting to you cam choices if you leave it in place.

As far as VVT, I'd leave it unless you want to put a large N/A cam in, which will probably lead to PTV contact. So if you went F/I you could go with a smaller cam profile and retain the features of VVT. You may want to look into Comp's VVT phaser kit, which limits the total swing to 20°.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

LS3 Heads and Cam Test - Ported Heads Versus a Camshaft Swap on the Dyno - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

This article compares stock heads to GMPP CNC'ed heads to Cam & GMPP heads to cam and aftermarket heads. They are all 3 ls3 heads and it brings into perspective just how good stock ls3/l92 heads are. For anyone considering this upgrade CAM is best choice and heads are if your running out of other things to gain power.

Preston I am definatly looking towards the Comp VVT swap and I was thinking about FI down the road. It would be a great setup if the comp VVT would work with a S/C or midmount. I know the heads would benefit more from the cnc once FI but I think for now I'm head down the road of just cam and stall. Then save the cash for the engine whisle.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Ported heads require a cam to match. This is the only way to make them worthwhile and even then? You could be looking at upwards of ten cam swaps to get it perfected. Considering there are some REALLY good grinds for the stock heads and they already flow so damn well.... Tough to argue against.

One of my local friends who runs the fastest 4L60E car on the planet and the fastest street driven SC C5 is on cam 15 or 16 now for instance? Granted boost adds another dimension but with his custom Tooley heads and whatnot matching the cam up to get all the power potential out of it is a time consuming and fussy process.

MAST heads do seem rather enticing though....
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah decided to just go with the cam swap rather than have the heads CNC'd and LS3 stainless (hollow stem) valves and SS exhaust valves. Just doesn't seem worth the cost for a N/A setup. Got a Pat G spec'ed cam from EPS on the way along with pushrods and springs and cam phaser. Plan is to do the cam swap and then add the stall in spring (I don't DD the truck and I am going to spend 90% of fall/winter/spring in texas while truck is home in Minnesota so it will see maybe 1500-2000 miles from october-april). Will the truck lack significantly without the stall? cam was spec'd for 3000-3200 stall.