Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Rear end question after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end question after lowering

I recently did a 2/4 drop on the truck. It's an 07 Silverado NNBS Ext. Cab currently rollin' on factory alloys like a baus. I plan on getting factory 20" rims with non rubber band style tires this spring.

My question is about the rear end having "play". Now, This came about when I was playing in the snow storm and slightly(HONESTLY!) sideways and hitting traction. I could have sworn I felt the axle/tires plant and the frame and bed move more almost as if I were about to lose the rear end from underneath. I need to desperately change my u-joints but no garage to pull in and weather blabla bla my excuse list goes on. That may have been the sound, or the stupid belltech shock that keeps getting loose no matter how much I tighten the bolt. But, I immediatly started looking for a panhard bar/ 4-link. I plan on doing a rear sway bar but that covers body roll.

Does anyone else have this issue? I know these factory leafs are not reliable. I already put a clamp on the leafs to take care of the axle wrap that is starting to come back again but that may be ujoints saying to change them or else. My new ubolts for the leafs to axle are torqued to 75 and re-checked at 150 miles. I like to drift on wet, snowy, dry pavement like the asshat I am especially if a good song is playing. I know hummers and larger vehicles use panhard bars but do you guys that push more power/do better power slides have them?

I love, LOVE having a lowered truck. When I did it, I lowered just the front and did the rear the next weekend and that was sooo much fun driving with people looking at me like something was wrong. I need to grind off the bump stop bracket and make my own because I feel driving in Chicago for work, makes the axles ever so closer to bumping. Sorry for the long first post. My buddy got a BW S465 for his 05 Volvo s60R. Cannot wait to fab that fat hoe on!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why put coil overs on a street driven truck that just does power slides?
If you are worried about axle wrap then put traction bars.
As for the shock coming loose put a locking nut not a teflon nut along with loctite.

Yes more hp makes for more drifting but thats on you.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Well, the shock nut isnt coming loose. I tighten the bolt/nut until it hits the rolled steel sleeve in the bushing but a week later I hear it rattling.

I don't know where coil overs came from. That for sure is a wasted setup on a street truck. I know traction bars will cure the wrap but my real question is whether people have put panhard bars on after lowering. I was looking for some under truck pics of road race setups to see their solutions to keeping the suspension in check.

I saw a Dodge on here for the show n shine that had a panhard but it also had a 4-link and I'm curious why he put it on. I mean, I know what both of those do but I wonder if it's street or track purposed.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cams 98 silverado
Well, the shock nut isnt coming loose. I tighten the bolt/nut until it hits the rolled steel sleeve in the bushing but a week later I hear it rattling.

I don't know where coil overs came from. That for sure is a wasted setup on a street truck. I know traction bars will cure the wrap but my real question is whether people have put panhard bars on after lowering. I was looking for some under truck pics of road race setups to see their solutions to keeping the suspension in check.

I saw a Dodge on here for the show n shine that had a panhard but it also had a 4-link and I'm curious why he put it on. I mean, I know what both of those do but I wonder if it's street or track purposed.
the newer dodge pickup trucks (2009+) have coil spring rear suspension from the factory thats why he had that setup
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Huh... Did not know that. Well I guess the only time people put them on our trucks is if they bag it or change out the leafs for coils. Still seems odd to me that one would rely on that leaf spring bushing to keep the rear in check if they are doing road racing or something not down a strip.