Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Rear suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension noise

Well before I explain my issue ill let you know a little about the truck. I own a 2011 sierra denali AWD. I bought it new in 2011 and it has 15000 miles right now. Right after I bought it I installed blistein 5100 shocks all around it. Well this week I just ordered 2" drop shackles and hellwig sway bars for front and rear. I would like to figure out my issue before I put these new parts on if possible.

So now that all the info is there this is my issue. Wednesday my wife and I were going to dinner and noticed when we pulled out of the driveway that once the rearend hit the bump that it made a clunk type noise and sounded like something was loose. I pulled out of the driveway going forward and turning left. Fast forward to today and I used a speed bump and took all four tires over the bump singaly. Now, each time I take the right rear tire over it in any way it makes that exact noise. So I took it to my garage to inspect, I really found nothing, I tightened every nut and bolt imaginable back there and my rims. Still the same issue.

Any suggestions for what to do?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If everything is tight, and nothing is broken, try greasing between each leaf. See if that helps.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing in the bed right???
Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Ignore it these trucks make noises once they get some miles that's why they are trucks and not cars. Mine has the exact same noise since day 1 it's the springs.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
If everything is tight, and nothing is broken, try greasing between each leaf. See if that helps.
Ill give it a shot.

Originally Posted by joshua022
Nothing in the bed right???
No, just some straps.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Ignore it these trucks make noises once they get some miles that's why they are trucks and not cars. Mine has the exact same noise since day 1 it's the springs.
I disagree on its because its a truck, none of my trucks have done this. Also, if that's the case I won't be keeping this truck lol.

Maybe ill call the dealer since its still under warranty.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to make sure those little plastic "discs" between the two bottom leaf springs didnt fall out
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
check to make sure those little plastic "discs" between the two bottom leaf springs didnt fall out
I'll take a look. I didn't know that there were plastic discs between the two bottom leaf springs.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
hmmmm.... not trying to thread jack, but since I put on my new shocks and DJM flip kit, something in the rear pops or clunks as well.

But only when I hit a bump AND turn left while doing it. I've checked all bolts and they are tight too. Maybe I should try the greased up leafs...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VegasJ
hmmmm.... not trying to thread jack, but since I put on my new shocks and DJM flip kit, something in the rear pops or clunks as well.

But only when I hit a bump AND turn left while doing it. I've checked all bolts and they are tight too. Maybe I should try the greased up leafs...
Sounds like my ordeal except turning right. Ive had my shocks on for almost 2 years now though so you wouldn't think the shocks would just start to act up now.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Well guys, I have figured it out. I went ahead and installed my drop shackles tonight. My friend and I got them on in about an hour, then took my truck for a drive before reinstalling the hitch. I drove my usual route to work and to my surprise the truck never made the normal sound once. So, I am guessing it must have been the stock shackles, possibly the rubber bushings had an issue.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noise