Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Remote Start...What is the deal here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Can you just by-pass the factory option and use an aftermarket like you have Ryan?
Could be done but would most likely cost more.

Originally Posted by WHITE5.3L
so if i buy some new key fobs, the ones that have the remote start button on them. I can take it to the dealer and they will just program it for me? for how much tho?
You could buy the key fobs, but the programming that needs to be done is to the pcm in the truck and a special approval code has to be obtained from GM, so even if you did get the key fobs on your own from ebay it probably won't save you much if any money. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask a dealership what they would charge to enable the remote start if you already have your own key fobs, but I wouldn't expect much of a savings.

Originally Posted by ig109
So how many of these trucks are capable of this? I have a WT, no power anything.. It too does the one touch start, do you think it has the capability to do this? Also do all these trucks have some of the wiring for the power windows and locks? Like wiring that stops at the kick panel so that you can find power window doors and just rob it from them?

I bought this truck while in college for the cheapness and now that i have a little more money i would like to start upgrading it to have power stuff.. I have the aftermarket power window kit but would rather use factory stuff if possible..

Thanks
for the factory remote start capability you need to have the AU0 rpo code in the glove box. If you don't then the extra relays and wiring to enable the remote start aren't there. I believe the factory option could still be added, but it would be more cost effective to go aftermarket in that case.

I don't know about adding power windows and locks. I would guess the wiring might be in place, but you would still need the actuators, motors and switches.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

an extra key fob that i priced was 125.00 so find one on ebay for 25-50 you still have extra saved
Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM

an extra key fob that i priced was 125.00 so find one on ebay for 25-50 you still have extra saved
Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ig109
I bought this truck while in college for the cheapness and now that i have a little more money i would like to start upgrading it to have power stuff.. I have the aftermarket power window kit but would rather use factory stuff if possible..
Thanks
The best way to approach this would be to find a wrecked truck, get the motors, switches, and wiring harnesses right to the BCM. Luckily the reg cabs are still hardwired for each function and don't use databus but even then not sure if programming will be required.

Only way to check for pre-wiring is to pop door panel...gm doesn't discuss things like this in their manuals as its outside the realm of what most people do. I've never seen a base truck, does it have a panel where the p/w and lock switches would be?? If so, pop that off and check for a connector....you could also look at the fuse block on the drivers side and see if there is anything wired to that point...will need the pinouts though.

I could be more work than its worth. Drivers door p/w diagram attached to get you started. I have pass door p/w plus locks as well, email me and I can fire them off to you.
Attached Thumbnails Remote Start...What is the deal here?-1847454.gif  

Last edited by niugnep; 12-16-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Dealer #1 today,Classic Chevrolet in Sugar Land, Tx (formerly Bill Heard) came to the conclusion that my truck could not utilize the OEM remote start kit.!

Dealer #2 today, Allen Samuels in Houston, eventually determined with my VIN number that I need the 19213165 kit at $295. Then they want another $275 to install it!

Looks like I'll be starting my truck OUTSIDE when it's cold.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd look into an aftermarket remote start then. They usually have a better range on the remotes than OEM anyway. I've been happy with my Autopage for a couple years now, self installed it was under $100.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

get the iphone start thingy lol
Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's 500 dollars haha. installation is included though. if you have an iphone though, then its worth it
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Teching In

I had the Factory Remote Start on my truck and lemme be the first to tell you that its terrible lol Coming from a person that has had remote start previously it isnt good at all. It will go like 20 yards if your lucky and greatly depending on the way your car is parked. Well i have been wanting to get a new alarm and a week ago my truck got broken into and over 1,000$ worth stuff stolen so i got the Viper 5901 and it has remote start for 450 Installed and it goes over a mile and has 2 way and is a all around better remote start and gives you security ha... All to say don't spend a lot for factory remote start, save and do it right the first time...
Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Relentless07Silv
I had the Factory Remote Start on my truck and lemme be the first to tell you that its terrible lol All to say don't spend a lot for factory remote start, save and do it right the first time...
I'd have to agree with this...the factory remote start is pretty weak but works well for what I need it for (ie, look out the window and its -30 and you can start it and let it warm up)....the range is limited although 20 yards seems very low. I've heard the two way GM setups are pretty good with huge range increases but if you are adding a remote (as opposed to having it ordered on new vehicle purchase) I'd go aftermarket.

Last edited by niugnep; 12-17-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: Remote Start...What is the deal here?