Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Removing & reinstalling TPMS sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing & reinstalling TPMS sensors?

Hi Folks,

I'm curious if anyone has done this, and if so, if you could walk me through the process.

Originally Posted by gm-trucks via google search

The valve stem can be detached from the TPM Sensor's electronic housing by removing the attachment screw, and can/should be replaced with a new valve stem at each service event.

The TPM Sensor itself can be retained with the vehicle and re-attached to a new valve stem. The Service Part Kit to replace the Valve including a new screw is Part # 15263240 for all applications. The retaining screw should be torqued to 1.3 N-m (11.5 lb-in).

Note: The spare tire does not have TPM.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
The reason I ask? My folks are coming out next month and we'll be getting new aftermarket wheels & tires for their '08 GM rig. If this is something I can do myself I could pick up the new shoes ahead of time and do the swap in my driveway. Thanks in advance...
Old 05-08-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

FYI for anyone interested...I got an answer. Definitely not a driveway job. The sensors mount from inside the wheel. You don't need to fully dismount, but you do have to pop the bead.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Its a bitch! The hardest part when I started doing the NNBS trucks was mounting low-pro tires onto wheels that we had removed the TPMS sensors from the factory wheels and put on the new wheels and trying to get the low-pro tire on without breaking the sensors (which weren't cheap when the trucks first came out if we did break one). All it takes is a method but definitely not a driveway job unless you have a tire mounting machine in your garage at home. (In which case if you did can I come over next time I get some new kicks!)