Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Squeak Squeak Squeak No Bueno

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulleys sorry. N no never washed it with water just spray for the engine bay and when car was cool. I always covered electronics
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Taking the engine apart for a squeak??? What kind of squeak are we talking about exactly?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

i shouldve taking a video no **** it sounds like metal rubbing on something almost like if u had a loose exhause rubbing on a piece of metal, it was really loud during a cold start, as the truck warmed it mellow down a bit and when u drove it went away, or at least i didnt hear it until i came back to idle. i looked at everything on the outside n it looked good. the truck has 65k so i thought it was the belts pulley or a/c compressor but not they are fine, and i have no power loss, or check engine lights nor performance decrease, just an annoying squeak. it sounds like its coming from under the head or at least when we put the stethoscope (borrowed from helicopters i work on) on it. so thats when i took it in, and now they are going to open it up since its been 2 days and nothing narrows it down.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

i work for GM. as much as i hate to say it, i see this alot. so many stupid ******* things go wrong with the gen 3/4 motors. any of you guys with a 5.3-6.0-6.2 expect broken valve springs starting from 50k+ see them on a daily basis. anyone with a gen 4 5.3-6.0-6.2 your motors are going to consume oil. if you think its doing it take it in and ask for them to check and document it, its a known problem, we replace pistons and rings ALL the time, and worst case you get a brand new crate motor. another gen 3/4 5.3-6.0-6.2 known common problem valve stems breaking at the keepers. matter of fact i have a 6.2 escilade sitting in my stall right now that broke a valve spring dropped the valve and somehow shot it out the intake port and into the intake manifold. all you guys with the 6spd trans' i feel sorry for you, they are worthless, and fail all the time.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

what about our peppy 4.8's truck has 65k on it and this is the first problem i endured,

P.S. the rental is still awesome!!! lol.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Teching In

we see broken valve springs from time to time on 4.8's but its not that common. we see some valve guide problems, and riod/piston problems. but most of the time when we see internal problems with 4.8's is due to owner neglect or being over stressed
Old 09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Jedi Master

My truck does the same when the engine is cold but it sounds like a pulley squeaking to me.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnight6
i work for GM. as much as i hate to say it, i see this alot. so many stupid ******* things go wrong with the gen 3/4 motors. any of you guys with a 5.3-6.0-6.2 expect broken valve springs starting from 50k+ see them on a daily basis. anyone with a gen 4 5.3-6.0-6.2 your motors are going to consume oil. if you think its doing it take it in and ask for them to check and document it, its a known problem, we replace pistons and rings ALL the time, and worst case you get a brand new crate motor. another gen 3/4 5.3-6.0-6.2 known common problem valve stems breaking at the keepers. matter of fact i have a 6.2 escilade sitting in my stall right now that broke a valve spring dropped the valve and somehow shot it out the intake port and into the intake manifold. all you guys with the 6spd trans' i feel sorry for you, they are worthless, and fail all the time.
Damn and I really wanted my 6.2 6l80e...
Old 09-24-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by midnight6
Wow, that's pretty harsh but you are there fixing them so...
Anyway not to jack this thread, but

My 6.2 sounds like a diesel cold and still makes noise once warmed up.
Dealer blew me off twice saying it's normal piston slap.
It may have piston slap but it also has a deep,hard mechanical knock that concerns me.

Any thoughts.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yikes, good to know, guess well wait n see

Quick Reply: Squeak Squeak Squeak No Bueno