Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Tire pressure sensors.... how to turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be getting a set of new wheels for my truck soon, right now, I am having the issue that I can't do the re-learn on my truck, it just simply won't take manually.

If I get the new wheels, will I have to buy new sensors, or can the old ones be re-used? I would be getting rid of the stockers so that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
I might be getting a set of new wheels for my truck soon, right now, I am having the issue that I can't do the re-learn on my truck, it just simply won't take manually.

If I get the new wheels, will I have to buy new sensors, or can the old ones be re-used? I would be getting rid of the stockers so that wouldn't be an issue.
GM has a service bulletin out right now about this, apparently when you let the air out in learn mode, the valve stem can vibrate which then makes the sensor think its in motion so it won't transmit in learn mode killing the re-learn. They say to only let air out for 5-8 seconds max and then wait. If it doesn't work then use the tool.

With new wheels, you will need new stems, and then the sensor is attached to the stems with a small torx screw (comes with the stem). As long as the sensor physically fits, you are good to go. They are quite small, I have a pic somewhere if you want to see it.

Last edited by niugnep; 01-17-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

I reused the sensors when I put my wheels on. Just have to replace the valve stem
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

How can I tell if the aftermarket wheels Im interested in will accept the sensors?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JB1
How can I tell if the aftermarket wheels Im interested in will accept the sensors?
I guess a test fit is about the only way. The stem should be no problem, wheel company should know. Not sure if it will help at all but pic attached...
Attached Thumbnails Tire pressure sensors.... how to turn off?-sensor.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Launching!

I reused the stock sensors and stems from the factory wheels to the 20" Welds on my truck. When I bought the truck I told the dealer that I was going to put new rims on my truck, he told me to make sure to swing by the service dept so they could reprogram the lower tire pressues these tires run compared to the factory tires. I was in and out in 30 minutes. (That won't happen again).
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS Crew
I reused the stock sensors and stems from the factory wheels to the 20" Welds on my truck. When I bought the truck I told the dealer that I was going to put new rims on my truck, he told me to make sure to swing by the service dept so they could reprogram the lower tire pressues these tires run compared to the factory tires. I was in and out in 30 minutes. (That won't happen again).
I tried to get my dealership to program my BCM to accept higher tire pressures for my E rated 10 ply Nittos and they told me that GM would not let them do it since I had stock wheels. WTF?? Something about possible lawsuits.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 PM

First post, hi everybody.

When I bought my Silverado, I replaced the stock 17" with GM 20" wheels and tires. I bought the package, the 945 package. It included the wheels, tires, caps, sensors, and lugs. The sensors were not the same as what was on the stock wheels. The sensors on the new wheels were the older type, the ones that use a metal nut. These are very easy to replace. Unfortunately, I have no part numbers. If you want to be able to use your sensors between sets of wheels, these are the ones you want. One even went bad after a few weeks. Since they basically are held in place by the nut, I was able to change it myself.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I wish I had read this thread last week!!! I just got new wheels and the tire dealer had no clue how to re-use the stems, so we ended up getting new sensors and stems....at $48 each!!! The "rebuild kit" (stem and screw basically) is only $5 each, but they didn't know about it and the GM dealer sold them the entire set. Anyway, my question is this....I got rid of my stock GM 20's on my NNBS Sierra and bought 18's with larger Nitto Terra Grapplers. These tires require more PSI than the stock Goodyears. So, I did the relearn and they are sensing the right pressure so I get no warning light, but my DIC still flashes "check right (or left, etc) tire presure" until I clear it manually. I assume I ned to have my dealer reset my truck's computer for a different PSI range. BUT, I have a custom Nelson tuned ECM and TCM and do not want them to reflash these. Is the TPS programmed into the BCM for sure? Or should I play it safe and put my stock ECM/TCM back in first? If this is stored in the BCM, then no problem, but if it's in the ECM, then I probably need Nelson to do it for me, right?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just made a pvc tube with a valve stem in it droped the sensors in the tube sealed it all up, put the air to it and threw it under my back seat. no more little orane light on the dash.
this is what ive done in a few trucks... just put them behind or under the seat somewher.. all gone