Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

The tonneau made a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The tonneau made a difference!

A week ago I ran my first couple-hundred-mile trip, 90 percent freeway at 70-75, and got 16.4 on premium. Today I made the same trip with identical weather, traffic, gas, speed and load, and got 17.1 mpg. The only difference is I finally got my Fold-a-Cover hard tonneau installed two days before this trip. I'm happy with the difference; with only 2,300 miles on the truck I expect improvement as it breaks in and loosens up some more. I also know, as some of you have mentioned, that I can improve highway mileage even more by keeping my speed down to 65. I might try that some day.

Mileage around town doesn't have a prayer - I love the power of the 6.2 way too much to act my age if there's any excuse to get on it a little bit.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Mileage around town doesn't have a prayer - I love the power of the 6.2 way too much to act my age if there's any excuse to get on it a little bit.

I feel exactly this way, even though I am only 25. I have realized these trucks are more of a "pay to play" variety. All that power in a nice trim costs money. I still wouldnt give it up for anything soon.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every new vehicle I've owned showed MPG increases with every tank, til around the 20,000 mile mark, when they leveled out.

The tonno cover on my GMT800 didn't make any change at all in my highway MPG, but the GMT900 has taller bedsides & tailgate, and the aerodynamics are WAY different. Nice to see that you got an improvement!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I've been contemplating getting an ACCESS cover for mine, but have been putting it off. If I can pick up some mpg it may be worth it
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i noticed a good increase with my cover as well!

I just got home from a 3k Mile round trip from the east coast.
I averaged 17.4mpg on two tanks going 87mph on 305/45/22's
I was super impressed!

I was going to take off the lower air dam for the trip home but it was raining and we took another route home, so it wouldn't have been the same.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
A week ago I ran my first couple-hundred-mile trip, 90 percent freeway at 70-75, and got 16.4 on premium. Today I made the same trip with identical weather, traffic, gas, speed and load, and got 17.1 mpg. The only difference is I finally got my Fold-a-Cover hard tonneau installed two days before this trip. I'm happy with the difference; with only 2,300 miles on the truck I expect improvement as it breaks in and loosens up some more. I also know, as some of you have mentioned, that I can improve highway mileage even more by keeping my speed down to 65. I might try that some day.

Hahaha damn right. Hammer down and **** em

You should see the freakin retard traffic up here. Toronto must have the highest portion of people who just moved here from who the hell knows where cuz we got LOTS of culture up here and the idiots just CANT drive!!!

So the best way around this? is AHEAD of this so Im ballz deep on my go pedal everywhere I go LOL

Carry on
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Launching!

glad to see it made a difference. i just got a chest tool box but i've been thinking of getting a snuglid down the road sometime. i'll be starting a trip soon from central texas to milwaukee and back. i won't be doing 87 but 65-75 so hopefully i will see some good numbers. i think i'll stick the air dam back on and take some tools to take off after a tank or two. let you guys know some numbers soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Oh yeah good to know about the mileage too. I put one on my new 11 but I never track the mileage I just dont have time and dont give a **** about fuel mileage to be honest. But knowing that my new F1 is actually helping save some dough? Then yee haww

more beer
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will be going on within a week. Just got home from a six week business trip and it's in my garage waiting to go on
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Then yee haww

more beer
Roger that! Like somebody else said it's pay to play and that's why I bought a 6.2 - to enjoy it.

But I can't help myself, I'm a numbers geek so I love knowing what it's doing.

Quick Reply: The tonneau made a difference!