Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Trans slipping in my 07 CC @ 55000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I did a vette servo a few years ago in my OBS, but sadly it had the same trans as these trucks. I allegedly did not put the snap ring on the outer part fully and went for a drive to play with it, and at first i didnt have OD. then i lost 3rd, and i got scared to hell when that trans slipped the first and only time in its life in 2nd. I lost 4 quarts of fluid and the servo was sorta hanging out but nothing lost. it was cocked sideways in the bore and also what happened was a seal rolled and pressure going to the 2nd apply leaked to the 4th apply if i remember the flow right and that pushed the unseated snap ring up and cocked the servo assembly. ever since I fixed that issue and all was good, it wouldnt really shift like i thought it would. it wasnt a nice firm shift into 2nd at half throttle but almost a hesitation for a split second then it applied. my diagnosis was i needed to put in pinless servos that are locaded in the pan because the vette servo had more area thus more fluid capacity and the other servos couldnt handle that amount. also, it could be a cracked piston/servo in the pan that causes a cross leak in the 2nd apply and doesnt allow the band to grab. Has it slipped anymore since? are you able to replicate that situation, if so, i would suspect perhaps a crack in the piston, though my memory is foggy i cannot remember if Gm still put plastic pistons in. Someone here should chime in but thats my idea. what I would do, is take the vette servo out, look at it carefully, look at the bore for anything odd, compare to the stock servo, if nothing re-install and try to replicate the issue or stick the stocker in and try to replicate the issue and if it happens take a trip to the dealer. My buddys trans would slip in his exploder, turned out to be a solenoid that was clogged. after hard mudding(he took a 94 'sploder sport, converted to 4x4, put a gm 14 bolt out back and dana something front, 35's on and a custom lift and hard *** romping blew the first trans) and blown trans, rebuild later w/ out flushing lines sent metal to the 'noids copper coils like a magnet and clogged it. flush later and new noid worked like a charm until the pump cracked in half. seems like using the same trans thats in a v6 'stang splined to 35's and geared plus hard romping makes for a bad combo haha.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CrashedMC
i thought i read somewhere that u cant put a vette servo in a 6 spd?

6spd is fully computerized and completely different from your conventional 4spd.

the servo,shiftkit is all done in the TCM tune.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Well I am going to order some new servos/pin and try that. My trans temp is normal and my fluid does not look or smell burnt so it almost has to be this.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

hopefully so, good luck bud
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Before dropping the pan though, check those seals on the vette servo. but yea after i turned the pc off yesterday i remembered its the accumalators that i had to replace with pinless ones. they are very well priced. though i gotta say i didnt replace mine, they are still sitting in the shipping box for the last 2 years haha. good thing because ill put them in this trans. but, is it worth putting the stocker servo in and having the dealer look at it in case it is a cracked accumulator? you can maybe ask to get the metal ones installed if they were to fix it seeing as GM did put metal ones in some 4l60e's
Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE. I pushed in on my servo cover and measured the amount of travel and found it to be around .230". Spec is between .075-.125" for proper band engagement. I installed a set of sonnax super hold billet servos with there longer pin. There pin is .100" longer than stock and is made to be ground for proper band clearance. I did not grind the pin at all and it put me right at .130" band clearance. Which I know is right at the loose end of the factory spec. I also noticed trans fluid coming from the inspection covers on the bellhousing.

My slipping is now gone but I think I'm on borrowed time with trans. I think the 2/4 band is about wore out and the front seal is leaking so who knows how long it will last

Last edited by kc'skustom95; 02-06-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo