Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Transfer case Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
You can be tweaked for gears only and usually be ok. I've had a couple with gears and they never looked twice. Everything else needs to be completely stock.
Thanks for the advice ....... dropped off truck this AM ..stock tune back in & they understand dont touch the diffs if that the cause ......no codes / has headers with 02 sensors but no cats & Magnaflow cat back exhaust .......but short slow drive to dealer so no codes set .........

I do know the service writer and a tech at dealership they know my truck and mods ......although I understand they have a job to do and need to follow rules .......the service writer assigned my truck to the tech I know not a close friend but he 's a car guy like me and we have mutual friends ........impression I got was they only take a picture of pcm if it major engine or transmission problem .
Let you know how I make out .....prepared for the worst hoping for the best :}
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Got the truck back ......... no hassle at the dealer .....was not the transfer case its the front diff carrier bearings ..... since I changed the gears no warranty but only charged me labor ...... parts N/C including the Transfer case oil change
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Damm well at least you know where you sit now. How bad did a diagnosis hurt? Try to find timken bearings overall I have had the best luck with them and they are made in the US.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a hell of a deal, wish I had a dealer like that. What bearings where you using? Koyo?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Damm well at least you know where you sit now. How bad did a diagnosis hurt? Try to find timken bearings overall I have had the best luck with them and they are made in the US.
Your right I now know for sure where the problem is ....I should be more clear they did not open diff as per your advice I told them not to ....... but they did road test it and put it up hoist and got the noise when they engaged 4wd only no noise in 2wd and so cost me 65.00 for an educated guess
I thought that was very fair they drained the TA case oil and checked it for "stuff' was clean and service manager road tested it heard the noise ......then kept overnite for cold road test then a "tech " had it for at least an hour ( I was waiting ) and he felt it in the diff .....

But as I said should i chose to bring it back to dealer to repair SM said it if it truly carrier bearings they would be N/C as he did not feel they should fail with my mileage ??I would just pay labor
Anyway I am going to take it to the shop that did the gear change he's a racer and I known him for years he will treat me right

Last edited by CDN SS; 02-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.