Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

What r u hauling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to run a slider hitch to allow the front of the trailer to clear the cab. You will also only be able to get a fifth wheel around 8000# to safely pull. I don't care what these internet warriors say, the safety of the family riding next to you should be important too. Every time you pull into anywhere you will have to slide the hitch back even just pulling into a gas station depending on the design of the trailer. You atleast need a truck with a regular short bed or get an auto slider.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank u for all the good info z71. I'm thinking the slider hitch is the way to go. Today my father in law is going to negoiate w this guy about his 5th today. Hope for a successful haggle, lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You will have to run a slider hitch to allow the front of the trailer to clear the cab. You will also only be able to get a fifth wheel around 8000# to safely pull. I don't care what these internet warriors say, the safety of the family riding next to you should be important too. Every time you pull into anywhere you will have to slide the hitch back even just pulling into a gas station depending on the design of the trailer. You atleast need a truck with a regular short bed or get an auto slider.
Ditto that, If you have no experience with big heavy trailers, experimenting with your family involved is dumb.

I have caught a lot of flack for hauling such heavy loads. We took a 3/4 ton truck same year and layout as my truck across the scales and it was only 500 lbs heavier. So at that point, having things properly loaded and working trailer brakes, there is little issue.

One more thing, if your pulling a trailer behind any truck, your not racing, slow down and use your head. Being stupid with a trailer gets people hurt. I see idiots flying down the road 75+mph pulling a trailer. I just shake my head and let them fly by. The heavier the load, the slower I go. I typically won't break 65 MPH with a trailer, and that is to build speed for an incline. I stay to the right and watch the traffic fly by. I will typically stay off the interstate as much as possible as well, that would be difficult pulling a travel trailer though.

Last edited by cttandy; 08-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.