Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Wheel and Tire Discussion. Experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and Tire Discussion. Experts needed!

Hey guys, name's Robbie. I'm new here, but I need all of your guy's help on my 07 NBS pickup.

Right now I have Toyo Proxes 285/60/18's mounted on Boss 304 wheels.

Now here are the problems with that:

1. The street setup for this truck is somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 horsepower to the wheels, and these 285's just don't cut it, even in 4x4!

2. I want to go with a wider tire but a little lower profile on these wheels as I have rubbing issues in the front already, and these are only 9 inch wide wheels with a goofy offset. It's 4x4 so all tires basically need to be the same overall diameter.

3. The only people out there so far that makes something like a 305/45/18 is Nitto, and that's an NT05-R drag radial. Not really what I need for my street truck.

4. I'm having tons of trouble finding what offset I need so that I can put more rubber to the inside of the truck.

I need all of your help finding a proper wheel and tire combination for my truck that will allow me to run at least a 305 wide tire in the rear.

What the truck looks like now.

Stance in the rear.

Clearance to the inside of the wheel wall in the rear. Approximately 4".

Front tire.

Rubs when the suspension collapses.

I really dig the styling of Callaway's prototype nine spoke wheel, which comes fitted with a 305/40/22, but I need more options.

Please for those willing to help, post the tire and what it does, and if you have a wheel, the general specs on it. I'm looking toward the 20"-22" range of wheel, that will hold my power level and I'm leaning towards a chrome finish.

Thanks in advance!

-Robbie.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

going with something light like a true forged wheel or even a billet wheel like intro, or one of the higher end manufacturing companies, they will also help you measure your BS so you can get the largest amount of tire on the wheel and not sweat clearance issues. If you are wanting to stay in the 20" plus range of wheels, you run into less tire options. 20" will give you the most selection for a better hooking tire, I know you said no drag radials, so some of the nitto 555 street tires have made an appearance and some guys love them. Other are using Hankook ventus s/t directional and have good results for high mileage and performance. I didn't see if you were from up north (i.e. winter conditions) but that will be a whole other battle then.

to stay in the 30" tall range on a 20' wheel you are looking at 305/45/20 to get close to the size you posted for the 22" wheels. More wheel means less sidewall and that means less grip...... I know I haven't helped but maybe it will give you an Idea!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lownslo
going with something light like a true forged wheel or even a billet wheel like intro, or one of the higher end manufacturing companies, they will also help you measure your BS so you can get the largest amount of tire on the wheel and not sweat clearance issues. If you are wanting to stay in the 20" plus range of wheels, you run into less tire options. 20" will give you the most selection for a better hooking tire, I know you said no drag radials, so some of the nitto 555 street tires have made an appearance and some guys love them. Other are using Hankook ventus s/t directional and have good results for high mileage and performance. I didn't see if you were from up north (i.e. winter conditions) but that will be a whole other battle then.

to stay in the 30" tall range on a 20' wheel you are looking at 305/45/20 to get close to the size you posted for the 22" wheels. More wheel means less sidewall and that means less grip...... I know I haven't helped but maybe it will give you an Idea!
Haven't helped?!! Who are you kidding, that gives me a wallop of people to talk about and things to consider! Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody have pics of the Nitto NT05 305/45/18's mounted on their truck? They're only 28.8" tall, and I'm having a hard time visualizing that.