Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam

2010 5.3 CCSB 3.42 ....... Black Bear Tune and planing to install TVS 1900 with stock size pulley 5500 rpm redline .No plans for aftermarket cam ......DD and towing use

Tell me why I should delete the AFM or disable in lower gears or ??

Educate Me

I get it for high rpm /aftermarket cam but why if cam / redline remains stock ??
Old 12-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDN SS
2010 5.3 CCSB 3.42 ....... Black Bear Tune and planing to install TVS 1900 with stock size pulley 5500 rpm redline .No plans for aftermarket cam ......DD and towing use

Tell me why I should delete the AFM or disable in lower gears or ??

Educate Me

I get it for high rpm /aftermarket cam but why if cam / redline remains stock ??
i would keep it, i know i am going to with my turbo. it only works under light load anyways, not like you can build any boost in v4 mode
Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Besides being anoying or incompatible with an aftermarket cam most people delete it because of the reliability issues that the afm lifters have. In your case, if an AFM lifter fails the dealer may not warranty it once you have a supercharger and aftermarket tune for example. So the question becomes why keep it?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Launching!

OK so "reliability issues " are these lifter failures only occuring on engines that are run above 5500 or on stock engines too ??
Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock engines too unfortunatly. It seems GM hasn't worked all the kinks out yet and with your warranty void you would be at risk of a more costly repair later on. IMVHO a mild aftermarket or LS6 cam swap would realy copliment that TVS and improve reliability. Go ahead and swap out the timing chain tensioner for the old LS2 style while your at it too.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Stock engines too unfortunatly. It seems GM hasn't worked all the kinks out yet and with your warranty void you would be at risk of a more costly repair later on. IMVHO a mild aftermarket or LS6 cam swap would realy copliment that TVS and improve reliability. Go ahead and swap out the timing chain tensioner for the old LS2 style while your at it too.

Thanks for that info ........... I understand that GM has released an improved / revised lifter for AFM engines ..... and the 2010's should have them ....any comments on those if thats true
Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDN SS
Thanks for that info ........... I understand that GM has released an improved / revised lifter for AFM engines ..... and the 2010's should have them ....any comments on those if thats true
Well.....GM has a new lifter part number that is used during warranty repair but as for when they will/did start putting them in the new engines its unclear as are any changes or "improvements" that were made. I don't believe your truck is exempts from the potential problems because its a 2010 if that's what your wondering.

This is the most recent TSB and it mentions 2011 so.....

#10-06-01-007B: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters) - (Nov 17, 2010)

Subject: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters)

Models: 2007 Buick Rainier

2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)

2010-2011 Cadillac Escalade

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer

2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2011 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) and V8 Engine RPO L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5 or LZ1

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-007A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

Cause
This condition may be caused by any of the following:

• Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.

• A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.

• Dirty or contaminated oil.

• A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.

• Debris in the valve lifter.

• A high valve lifter leak down rate.

Correction
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.
⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.

Note: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the tick noise.

Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.
⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 16 valve lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

Parts Information
Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Excellent , Thank-you ......... that helps me understand the situation.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it that much, Ive yet to read of an AFM lifter failure on the forums when running a stock cam. If AFM kicking in annoys you, just get it turned off in the tune.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I wouldnt worry about it that much, Ive yet to read of an AFM lifter failure on the forums when running a stock cam. If AFM kicking in annoys you, just get it turned off in the tune.
Working at the dealership thats the only kind of failure I do see. Get one or two a week some times and then may go a week or two with none. I'm not discounting your point but the OP has expressed his concern of reliability on several threads and with no warranty left and the harsh remote conditions he plans to use his truck in he may be better safe then sorry. Much respect, just MVHO.

Quick Reply: Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam