Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess that means you just need to have a spare ECM and cluster that you swap in tandem.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info , it all helps
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
cam
TECH Addict

I havent read much about lifter "failures" per se but there are TSB's out there for "over active lifters" and the more important issue and main problem with the AFM crap "Oil consumption" problems. IIRC the replace/no replace threshold is one liter per thousand km's of use so about one quart for 800 miles. Thats insane IMO and enough to scare me away. There are also issues with piston rings becoming so caked in burnt oil deposits that they stick and the engine loses compression.

The actual lifter issue is the least of your worries with one of these AFM engines.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
I havent read much about lifter "failures" per se but there are TSB's out there for "over active lifters" and the more important issue and main problem with the AFM crap "Oil consumption" problems. IIRC the replace/no replace threshold is one liter per thousand km's of use so about one quart for 800 miles. Thats insane IMO and enough to scare me away. There are also issues with piston rings becoming so caked in burnt oil deposits that they stick and the engine loses compression.

The actual lifter issue is the least of your worries with one of these AFM engines.
i am having the dry start problems.. im gonna take it in the new year... to replace lifters. i wish i could tell them to put some ls7 lifters and disable that crap..
Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Hell yea for a mass produced lifter like the LS7 they might as well give you the choice of of which ones you want. Esp if you have to deal with this problem to begin with. I wonder GM's cost on the AFM lifters compared to da LS7's???

Anyways good to know that my lifter tick that i was hearing is due to the AFM/VVT bullshit and now i finally have a solid reason to do a cam swap with some well needed valvetrane upgrades.

Anyone know of any GM service writers at a chicago land area GM dealer that would be able to see if they will relpace the AFM lifters with some LS7s under warranty???
Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Has nothing to do with VVT .thats a good thing
Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZXSSMAX
Hell yea for a mass produced lifter like the LS7 they might as well give you the choice of of which ones you want. Esp if you have to deal with this problem to begin with. I wonder GM's cost on the AFM lifters compared to da LS7's???

Anyways good to know that my lifter tick that i was hearing is due to the AFM/VVT bullshit and now i finally have a solid reason to do a cam swap with some well needed valvetrane upgrades.

Anyone know of any GM service writers at a chicago land area GM dealer that would be able to see if they will relpace the AFM lifters with some LS7s under warranty???
Cant be done unfortunatly. You are on your own on the delete.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Launching!

OK guys if I decide to install a DOD kit on my new truck LC9 5.3 but plan to keep the stock cam and VVT ...........all I need to do is pull intake / valley cover and heads and swap out the lifters and valley cover .correct ? dont need to pull the front cover etcetc

Can you tell I never had a LS motor apart

BTW is the oil pump different on a DOD engine ???
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

-Yes

-Yes but you'll do fine.

-No. Same part number pump as everything else.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
-Yes

-Yes but you'll do fine.

-No. Same part number pump as everything else.
Thanks ......I got it now

Quick Reply: Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam