Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN SS
Thanks ......I got it now

OOPs one more question ......
Pushrods dont I need at least 4 reg length to replace the DOD short ones ??

Here is the DOD kit parts I looking to buy ......I realize gaskets but whats the deal on the pushrods

Kit Includes:
-GM LS7 Lifters
-GM Valley Cover
-GM Lifter Trays
-GM Head Bolts
Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are all the same length.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
They are all the same length.
OK Good still learnin ....
Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

We are all still learning with these new parts so keep askin good questions and I'll keep answering the ones I can.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Great info guys.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Launching!

UPDATE ........ Still not sure about decision to do delete the DOD or not "keeping stock cam" especially in a new truck ...... have no doubt that the DOD lifter have failures and if I do the delete will live with any warranty refusal issue .......... disccussed topic with respected a shop owner who specializes in Turbo & Maggie kit installs for towing on mostly stock trucks ....... ....... unless the customer insists he does not reccomend changing to an aftermarket cam as the stock cam in late model 5.3's is hard to improve upon for torque down low .. ........he has been tuning out the DOD function except for 6th gear ......... where most dont tow anyway .......thinking is, the reduction in DOD on /off on/ off reduces the lifter failure rate and of course rpm limit at 5500 .he has not seen any lifter issues in the last 12-18 months going this way mainly on 09 and newer 5.3's

Also the oil build up in combustion chamber etcetc possiblly from "over active lifters " .......yes he has seen that but in all cases he has seen those engines were not running a properly designed oil separator catch can ......... adding a oil sepatator catch can to the stock PCV system alleviates the excessive oil in the intake / combustion chamber ....... he sees that as abigger problem than the DOD system

FWIW the custom cam grinder I use for my race stuff also told me not to waste my money on a cam change if looking for a real improvement in torque below 2200 ..where I tow ....so for sure not changing cam .......I have no doubt the TVS 1900 will build all the torque down low I need

Question has anyone on here actually done the DOD delete but left the stock cam ??
Intereted to know how it ran ?? I cant see why it would not run fine and yes its a diffferent cam than the non AFM engines it has slightly more lift .valve timing I'm not sure of the diff .............. but "some " have suggested it would not run right when changing over to LS 7 lifters ???

FWIW
Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 AM
cam
TECH Addict

The only issue I can see with changing out the DOD lifters to LS7 ( stock ) lifters is when you do not also change the oil pump to a regular NON DOD pump. This could cause excessive pump up in the lifters and cause it not not run "right" and probably other issues I cant think of right now being my first day back to work after 6 days of heavy eating/drinking/banging so...

The DOD and non DOD engines would run exactly the same regardless of cam. Meaning there is no difference in engine behavior until the DOD activates and you drop cyls at speed. Idle, power, etc would all behave exactly the same on the stock DOD cam whether or not you have the DOD lifters or LS7 lifters.

FWIW if I was to buy a new 5.3L with DOD I would simply run it stock and watch out for these issues and see. If there were problems I would then attack it probably first by pressuring the dealer then going at it myself. However knowing these issues going in I wouldnt buy one ( so I didnt ) as I want hassle free turn key drive it and forget it reliability which is precisely why I drive GMC vehicles in the first place. THey have proven themselves to me over and over again PROVIDING I buy the right one. Now my 83 Camaro 2.8L 5spd? Ummm yeah... Four engines later and only 90k miles on it when I sold it? THat one almost did me in but I had a truck at that same time that set an all time record for me. 81 GMC 2500 4spd ( bull low ) that set my personal all time record for mileage on a stock engine. 720K kms so thats about 450k miles. Granted propane burns cleaner but that thing was BEATEN on severely by me and many others before we sold it and it was still running strong even then.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see why the factory cam wouldnt work with the DOD deleted. Yes its designed for DOD but that just means that lift and ramp rates will be mild. The 8 regular lifters in your truck are the same as LS7 lifters so there should be no compatability issues.

That being said, you would notice -0- loss in low end torque with a mild custom cam or LS6 cam after you have that TVS bolted on. You wont even be using all the torque it makes 99.99% of the time.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
The only issue I can see with changing out the DOD lifters to LS7 ( stock ) lifters is when you do not also change the oil pump to a regular NON DOD pump. This could cause excessive pump up in the lifters and cause it not not run "right" and probably other issues I cant think of right now being my first day back to work after 6 days of heavy eating/drinking/banging so...
Who is telling you that the DOD engines use a different oil pump?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Who is telling you that the DOD engines use a different oil pump?
When I started my L92 build last year I did a pile of research on VVT and DOD engines and found then that in order to maintain oil pressure when the lifters collapsed the DOD engines used a higher volume/pressure pump. IIRC it was MAST that told me this I cant really recall exactly who or where I heard this now but it was buzzing around at that time. But I did find a few threads over at LS1tech where guys had swapped out the DOD lifters and all of a sudden had extremely high oil pressure ( Around 90 psi IIRC ) One was a dune buggy and the guy had all sorts of problems running the pan dry. He even blew his engine and everyone was wondering why and the oil pump was the issue. If you search out the PN's they should come up different between DOD and non DOD engines and again Im pretty sure there was a thread I was posting in somewheres that had this info. I'll post up a link if I can find it

Quick Reply: Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam