Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Why Delete AFM ..... stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
I dont see why the factory cam wouldnt work with the DOD deleted. Yes its designed for DOD but that just means that lift and ramp rates will be mild. The 8 regular lifters in your truck are the same as LS7 lifters so there should be no compatability issues.

That being said, you would notice -0- loss in low end torque with a mild custom cam or LS6 cam after you have that TVS bolted on. You wont even be using all the torque it makes 99.99% of the time.
I dont see why either ....?? The info came from a seller of the delete kit ,
I advised was goin to retain the stock cam but asked whethwer I need to replace the oil pump .......the response was ...dont use the delete kit on a DOD cam .will not run right !!
FYI the DOD cam spec I found on All data for the LC9 has slightly more lift than the non .....

CAM
Ageed the TVS will give me all the low end I need .....Just a comment on why I see no need to replace stock cam for my needs so no need and no improvement below 2400 with aftermarket cam

Last edited by CDN SS; 12-29-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

BTW I really appreciate all the info that has come from my original dumb question post .....this is great stuff ...... I am not going to rush into my TVS intall pbly March / April in that time put some miles on new truck .see how the DOD works / if I get lifter tick etcetc ....watch the oil pressure ......only thing I know for sure is I am goin to leave the stock cam and install a good Oil separator catch can in the PCV system SAP
This oil pump thing has my interest .....goin to dig deep to see if I can find out what pump my motor has
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
The relief saves oil starvation but its also looking like the main problem with the piston rings failing on these engines. No one knows for sure but Ive read posts from GM techs who said the have rebuilt a few 5.3's on Warranty and the pistons above the relief were completely oil cooked right into the piston. FWIW the buggy thread problems had a pan swap and no relief. He only made it a few hours of running before BOOM
GM just released a goofy looking metal shroud that goes over the relief valve in the oil pan to control that problem.
Originally Posted by CDN SS
I dont see why either ....?? The info came from a seller of the delete kit ,
I advised was goin to retain the stock cam but asked whethwer I need to replace the oil pump .......the response was ...dont use the delete kit on a DOD cam .will not run right !!
FYI the DOD cam spec I found on All data for the LC9 has slightly more lift than the non .....

CAM
Ageed the TVS will give me all the low end I need .....Just a comment on why I see no need to replace stock cam for my needs so no need and no improvement below 2400 with aftermarket cam
Well if they are advising you not to use the factory cam there may be a valid reason that I'm just unaware of. May want to ask them for an explanation.
Originally Posted by CDN SS
BTW I really appreciate all the info that has come from my original dumb question post .....this is great stuff ...... I am not going to rush into my TVS intall pbly March / April in that time put some miles on new truck .see how the DOD works / if I get lifter tick etcetc ....watch the oil pressure ......only thing I know for sure is I am goin to leave the stock cam and install a good Oil separator catch can in the PCV system SAP
This oil pump thing has my interest .....goin to dig deep to see if I can find out what pump my motor has
Based on everything I have read you do have the high volume pump with the 42psi relief valve.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Man I sure wish I would have read all this stuff about the 5.3s before I bought my truck last april.

So.... if I dont delete the DOD in my truck I run the risk of hurting my motor with valve train and piston burning issues? I already have it tuned so the warrenty work is prob out the question. I have heard some ticking at times from the lifters. But its not a constant thing and just comes and goes. If the DOD is tuned out but keep the stock parts will it prolong the life?

Whats the odds of me bringing my truck in and them not digging deep enough to see that it has been tuned BC of the service bullitin and just replacing the lifters?
It has been tuned by a "professional" who may know how to hide it better than if I had tuned it myself.