Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 is finally there!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LANCE ATKINSON
I try to be nice on here and not bash anyone but thats the most!!!!!!!!!(takes the cake) freakn retarded post I think Ive EVER read!!! Wasnt even funny it was soooo bad!!! Come on dude read up a little and figure things out before you post something like that!!!
That was his one and only post.......go back to your ecoboost forum dude
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Link please?

2014 Chevrolet Silverado High Country and GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2 First Drive - Truck Trend
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
That was his one and only post.......go back to your ecoboost forum dude
Well I was gonna say the same thing last night...but I fell asleep. You beat me to it gonzo. His first and probably last post on here..
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my local dealership I sat with the Sales Manager and built a 6.2 with Max Trailering Pkg (3.73's) and 20" wheels were even an option (on my 2011 only 17" wheels available). The only information missing at that time (about 2 weeks ago) was cost of 6.2, all other information was available to him in the screens and printouts. On the E85 I seem to remember it was not listed for 6.2, the LT1 C7 Corvette does not list it either.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, Gonzo. Interesting reading, and a couple things that I hadn't heard before.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default This May Answer A Few Questions

2014 Chevrolet Silverado High Country and GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2
GM's Biggest Half-Ton Engine Delivers Refined, Plentiful Power

By Edward A. Sanchez | October 01, 2013 |
Read more: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado High Country and GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2 First Drive - Truck Trend

At one time a relatively uninteresting segment with major changes only happening every 7 to 10 years, the full-size truck market has become cutthroat, with significant changes almost annually, especially among half-ton trucks. General Motors is rounding out its 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 half-ton lineups with the addition of its king-of-the-hill 6.2-liter Ecotec3 V-8. For the time being, GM takes the half-ton horsepower and torque crown with 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque from the new fifth-generation 6.2-V-8.With the 2015 Ford F-150 not far off, it's unknown how long GM will hold the most-powerful half-ton crown, but for those buyers for whom the optional engine holds appeal, they will get a smooth, refined, and capable powertrain.

Detail Differences

Unlike the 5.3-liter Ecotec3 V-8 and 4.3-liter V-6, the 6.2-liter does not have flex-fuel E85 capability. The 6.2-liter is also the only one of the new fifth-gen truck engines that recommends use of premium unleaded for optimal performance. Both the 5.3 and 4.3 have a relatively high 11.0:1 compression ratio, enabled due to the cooling effect of direct fuel injection. But the L86 6.2 cranks it up a half-point further to a 11.5:1 compression ratio, the same as the Corvette's LT1 V-8.

The L86 engine is a stand-alone $1995 option in most Silverado and Sierra trim levels, but the primary showcase for the big mill will be the new Silverado High Country and GMC Sierra Denali trims. The proliferation of premium trim levels among trucks leaves us scratching our heads for the need of all these seemingly overlapping models, but GM says there is a practically insatiable demand for them from customers and dealers, and being the larger volume of the two truck brands, it was imperative that Chevrolet have an entry in the segment. GM is the only company in the full-size truck segment with two brands selling a full line of trucks, so product differentiation was important in the packaging and marketing of the new High Country trim. Maria Roeher, Chevrolet Trucks marketing director, said Chevrolet was careful in its positioning and packaging not to encroach too much on the Sierra Denali."Thirty percent of truck buyers are buying models transacting at $40,000 and above. Dealers were asking for something just a little above the LTZ trim. Many of these trucks are daily drivers, not just utility vehicles. Relative to GMC, we were very careful positioning the High Country both in amenities and pricing, so that GMC will still be a notch higher than us. We wanted to find that space in-between a LTZ and Denali. We are positioning the High Country against the F-150 King Ranch , and the Denali would compete against the Platinum. There's space for more than one trim in the $40,000+ price. The (High Country) was really one of the few holes in our portfolio we thought was an opportunity for us."

Polished Power

Looking over the spec sheets, the mechanical similarities between the L86 6.2 and the Corvette's LT1 are undeniable, with the two engines sharing displacement, compression ratio, and peak torque output. But as installed in the full-size trucks, the L86 feels like a natural fit. It starts with the familiar small-block burble, and settles into a quiet idle, with only the faintest noise of direct injection, something that plagues many other DI engines. The placement of the injection pump in the valley between the cylinder banks helped attenuate much of the noise, and from within the cabin it simply sounds like a smooth, refined, small-block V-8.With the 3.42 axle ratio, the 6.2 pulls strongly from low speeds, with a generous, linear torque curve, and just enough engine noise to let you know you've got a genuine V-8 under the hood, but not to the point that it's obnoxious. The new inset doorframe design on the GM trucks helps silence wind noise, and the 6.2-liter models employ active noise cancellation to further add to the refinement. We've noted the exceptionally good noise, vibration, and harshness characteristics of all the 2014 GM trucks, and the new High Country and Denali take it a step further still.
Driving a Silverado LTZ equipped with the 6.2 and max tow package back to back with an F-150 equipped with the 6.2-liter V-8 was an eye-opening contrast in refinement. The 6.2 is the standard engine in the deliberately assertive F-150 SVT Raptor, and its throwback musclecar soundtrack fits with that model's aggressive packaging. But the same level of NVH tuning in a more mainstream trim comes across as coarse and raw, especially after getting out of the GM models. The seat-of-the pants difference in power output between the Silverado and F-150 6.2 models with 5000 pounds in tow was not dramatic, but the delivery of the power was. The Chevrolet seemed much more deliberate with its shifting, holding gears for longer, whereas the Ford seemed busier upshifting and downshifting on the same driving loop.

Big Engine, Small Share

For more than a decade, the 5.3-liter V-8 has been GM's volume seller in the Sierra and Silverado, representing more than 70 percent of sales. Initial estimates for the take rate on the 6.2 are around 10 percent. Most buyers will be fully satisfied with the balance of power and economy offered by the 5.3-liter EcoTec3. Only a select few will want or need the power offered by the 6.2, and those that think they "need" the power of the 6.2 in the 1500 would probably be better-served with an HD truck.A lot of the 6.2's appeal, frankly, is in driveway and drive-in bragging rights, with owners saying, "It's got the 'Vette engine" or "It's the most powerful truck you can get." For those buyers, the nearly $2000 premium is well worth it, and they'll be rewarded with an engine that's smooth, powerful, and easy to live with on a daily basis. Although final fuel economy figures were not released on the 6.2, projections are that it will be competitive with rivals' smaller-displacement offerings, and significantly more economical than the Ford 6.2-liter.The fact that both the High Country and Denali will be offered standard with the 5.3-liter engine is evidence of the realization that many customers may want the trim and amenities of a high-end truck, but don't need or care about having the biggest engine. The 6.2-liter engine rounds GM's already impressive 2014 half-ton lineup, and for a select group of buyers, it fills a need. But the 5.3 will continue to be GM's bread-and-butter truck engine, and for most buyers, will amply fulfill their power and economy needs.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado High Country/GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2
BASE PRICE $45,100
PRICE AS TESTED $55,260
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front-engine, 2/4WD, 5-pass, 4-door Truck
ENGINE 6.2L/420-hp/460-lb-ft direct-injected OHV V-8
TRANSMISSION 6-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 4199 lb (52/48%)
WHEELBASE 143.5-153 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 230.0-239.6 x 80.0 x 73.7-74.2 in
0-60 MPH 6.2 sec (est)
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 15/21 mpg (est)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems I was a day late and a dollar short, Gonzo already posted link. I highlighted in RED a couple points worth mentioning......
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Seems I was a day late and a dollar short, Gonzo already posted link. I highlighted in RED a couple points worth mentioning......
That Gonzo is a fast one ….

Does anybody have any idea why they cnx'd the E85 for this motor? I don't hardly ever run it in my '11 except for a few tankfuls to get ready for "contests of speed" - and my tune makes good use of it. Maybe the DI machinery can't deliver enough extra volume to keep up with the bigger motor? Just a guess ….

As for those other comments in red: I wouldn't expect a whole lot of seat-of-the-pants difference when pulling 5,000 lbs., so that doesn't bother me. It is interesting that the GM 6.2 doesn't have to hunt the right gear all the time like the ford did - a sign of great trans tuning and the DI's better low-end and mid-range power.

I can't wait to test drive one my-own-self!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by v8hunter
Have they came out with the mpg ratings for the 6.2 4x4 yet? I'd guess some where in the range of 13-14 city to 19-20 hwy.

I have been trying to decide between an ecoboost truck or a new chevy with the 5.3. The 5.3 is impressive for its size and gets good fuel mileage so I think that I coud live with it if I got a tune. I have put 77k on my current truck in just 2 years so it's about time for a truck with better fuel economy.

My biggest concern over the new chevy is that it's the same 6 speed that I don't like very much. I think the chevy 6 speed is pretty "stupid" even compared to the tranny in my old 07 tundra.

Maybe I should just hang tight for a year or so as the chevy with the 8 speed should be coming out soon. The hemi improved by 1-2 mpg with their 8 speed so I'd expect the chevy to gain at least 1 mpg too.
Have you driven a ford with the 6 speed? My work truck is 2012 ford and it does stupid **** all the time. Its on par with the gmt900 6speed shift quality wise.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The 6R140 in my 2012 F350 is a piece of JUNK... Slams into gear hangs up and doesn't shift right half the time. And the 1-2 shift is made before the truck is rolling good, it keeps the engine lugged so bad it can't pull its own weight half the time. The 6.2 makes plenty of power but you've got to spin it to the moon to get it... Not lug it.

Quick Reply: 6.2 is finally there!