GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 is finally there!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
That Gonzo is a fast one ….

Does anybody have any idea why they cnx'd the E85 for this motor? I don't hardly ever run it in my '11 except for a few tankfuls to get ready for "contests of speed" - and my tune makes good use of it. Maybe the DI machinery can't deliver enough extra volume to keep up with the bigger motor? Just a guess ….

As for those other comments in red: I wouldn't expect a whole lot of seat-of-the-pants difference when pulling 5,000 lbs., so that doesn't bother me. It is interesting that the GM 6.2 doesn't have to hunt the right gear all the time like the ford did - a sign of great trans tuning and the DI's better low-end and mid-range power.

I can't wait to test drive one my-own-self!
My comments in RED should not have included reference to 5000 lbs, what I meant to bring attention to was the noteworthy performance of the transmission shift performance. Almost every time I post in a 2014 thread I give props to the tranny and when I read the comment in the article about how well it shifted even when hauling a load I blew mine
Old 10-29-2013, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Default E85???

Ok Im finding very different info on the flex fuel 6.2DI!! One site says it is then another says no. In my opp I think it will and that will differ from the LT1!! Just my thoughts though. Theres no way GM is gonna put an engine out that requires 92 octane only this day n time hence one of the reason for DI bn able to make more power because of better atomization of fuel bn sprayed under pressure!! I would think you could get away with less octane at higher compression with Direct Injection!! The injectors are set at 96lb in the tune also so lack of fuel system wont b an issue here!! Just my thoughts!!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Does anybody have any idea why they cnx'd the E85 for this motor?
All the signs pointed to a flex fuel 6.2, and still do, but GM has repeatedly stated its not and I have no idea why. My hope is that the cost were to high to get it E85 approved right away or that perhaps they just ran out of time to finalize tuning/emissions before its release.

GM has even gone as far as creating an RPO for E10(FHO) & E85(FHS) capable trucks, which only reinforces the notion that at one time GM had planned the whole line of engines to be flex fuel IMVHO.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just found a message from GM stating the new L86 6.2 uses 3" exhaust rather than the 3.5" on Gen4 motors. Not ground breaking or deserving of its own thread but I thought you all might find that interesting and perhaps helpful if you're planning an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great info Robert, I have been looking hard at the tailpipes in every picture of LTZ or High Country pictured looking for something that stands out. I know the exhaust on 5.3L is 2.75" not sure why they wouldn't just put a 3" on those as well. I know attention was put into the exhaust so that they would not sound sick or drone when in 4 cylinder mode and for sure I know the 6.2 has a butterfly valve in the muffler to help sound quality. Maybe this has much to do with tuning the exhaust note for cylinder deactivation.

----------------------------------------

The intake, the exhaust, the fuel and ignition mapping, the lubrication, and other ancillary components have been optimized for truck duty, though, resulting in smooth, refined power delivery that doesn’t announce its arrival with an overly obnoxious exhaust note. Sure, there is the provocatively named “exhaust flapper,” a bypass valve that lets the V-8 speak up under heavy throttle and while performing feats of towing strength, but it otherwise has no audible giveaways to its 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of naturally aspirated grunt. Indeed, both trucks are equipped with active noise cancellation when ordered with the 6.2-liter engine, to reduce annoying rumble when cruising and at low engine speeds.

Last edited by NemesisC5; 11-12-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added clip from magazine article
Old 11-12-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
I just found a message from GM stating the new L86 6.2 uses 3" exhaust rather than the 3.5" on Gen4 motors. Not ground breaking or deserving of its own thread but I thought you all might find that interesting and perhaps helpful if you're planning an aftermarket exhaust.
I was going to throw a 6.2 exhaust on my 5.3, as a friend is getting a 6.2 and will be ordering an exhaust/intake/tune when available.

I plan on doing the same, but on a little lower budget- I'm just glad I can finally afford a new truck.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Before and after dyno sure would be cool. Then we'd all know if its worth the money and time on these trucks. I didn't realize the 4.5/5.3 only had 2.75" exhaust.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well our dealership has got a new denali in and I think Lance is gonna go test drive it. Sticker is only 54k which is a lot cheaper than what I was expecting!! A guy sent us a video of the speedo and had to put it in 4wd to take off because it blew through first gear!! But the 4wd video, it's gonna fly!! Especially with a tune!! It looks as if it runs about the same as my tuned one in second gear on! Anxious to see what Lance says about it! Maybe we can update this afternoon.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

The Denali is a 6.2?

If so, please confirm if E-85 compatible.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yes it's a 6.2 and will check on e85....

Quick Reply: 6.2 is finally there!