Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
yes sir. bunch of guys over on gm-trucks.com are saying the projector lens cant take the heat from the 55w kits.
must be using crappy plastic projector lenses. maybe there's a direct glass replacement from another car or aftermarket part.
now if it's a thin plastic reflector bowl that's the problem, then yeah, stick with 35W

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Sweet!!! Very cool!! I didn't know that you had the Sierra. I'm was excited when I saw the 2014 Sierra because of the projectors, however I didn't know that they are still using halogen bulbs, that's kinda lame. But I guess one step at a time.
i know the GMT800 Denalis used standard 9005s in their projectors
Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those merimoto seem to be pretty nice, but they are expensive. If you want to pick up a set for less than $100, just make sure you search for "AC" HID ballasts with internal ignitors. I"m partial to more of an OEM white light, which is around 4100k-4300k in color. That bulb color also puts out the most lumens, which is nice. You can go for a 5000k bulb as well, which is still very white, with just a hint of blue. That's as far as I would go. Just keep in mind that you want to search for AC ballasts with internal ignitors. Doing that kinda weeds out the crap that's out there. I like the internal ignitors just because it keeps everything in one box without a bunch of extra crap hanging off. It might also help to search for "digital" as well, since those ballasts use an IC to more precisely control the voltage to the bulbs. Well, I hope that helps! Good luck!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly after seeing how much bullshit almost everyone puts up with as far as HIDs go I would just get some daystar bright whites. I have only had one tiny issue with mine over the course of a year and a half, but that alone is enough to wonder if they are going to click on every time. HIDs are almost never install and forget. Very very very few people I have known have never had an issue.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Launching!

I have had DDM 35 watt lows and 55 watt highs for about 5 years now. No problems. I love em. You can't beat the price.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Please don't put HID's in a Halogen housing...hate people that do that, blinds everyone. Do it right and put them in Projectors.
Originally Posted by texasglock23
this^^^^^^^^ times 1 billions!
I use to be one of these ********. Never put to much though into it till I started commuting daily in a car and now I want to run every vehicle off the road that does this. Drive me insane. I will be doing a Projector retrofit in my car when I get some extra $$$
Originally Posted by KozzyJr
my truck has projectors. all 2014 sierras come standard with projectors.
I thought the new one's had projectors, kinda lame they didn't come with HID's in them though.
Sweet!!! Very cool!! I didn't know that you had the Sierra. I'm was excited when I saw the 2014 Sierra because of the projectors, however I didn't know that they are still using halogen bulbs, that's kinda lame. But I guess one step at a time.
+1
Old 12-26-2013, 12:37 PM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by gamble686
Honestly after seeing how much bullshit almost everyone puts up with as far as HIDs go I would just get some daystar bright whites. I have only had one tiny issue with mine over the course of a year and a half, but that alone is enough to wonder if they are going to click on every time. HIDs are almost never install and forget. Very very very few people I have known have never had an issue.
the only problem i ever had was right after install - the harness was built with a faulty fuse block. that was replaced by the manufacturer, and had it not been for that 1 occasion, mine would've been install-&-forget for almost 4 years now.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
I thought the new one's had projectors, kinda lame they didn't come with HID's in them though.
they come with an HIR bulb. they do produce 1800 lumens but still yellow
Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM
makes children cry

that's gooder... HIR is much better than 9006/5
Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Ya but it's halogen yellow. After the holidays 5000k here I come
Old 12-26-2013, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

I thought about one more thing.... If you insist on getting a 3300 lumen bulb to replace a bulb that's normally 1000-1200 lumens, tilt your beam down a couple of inches as a courtesy to everyone else.

Quick Reply: HID's?