Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Muffler specs on 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler specs on 5.3

I just got my doug thorley tri y headers on and now i need just a muffler swap to achieve my sound goals, as well as removing that damn flapper valve nonsense. getting dod/afm disabled when blackbear sends me my tune...

So what are the stock specs so i can order a new muffler offset in/out centre? i think both in and out are 2.5" outside diameter...length of muffler? id go under and measure but my calipers to measure arent long enough to accurately measure the pipe and im too damn sore to go under to even measure the muffler length and width....google also turned up absolutely nothing so i figured this may help others.

as for sound ... it sounds like crap now regardless of 4 or 8 cyl mode. real tinny sounding but real quiet so i dunno if i wanna go with anything like flowmaster. i had magnaflow on my 2012 6.0 due to no offset 3.5" options and it sounded ok with my ARH catless system. i can tell this engine/exhaust setup will sound a lot different regardless of choice. maybe magnaflow it is. I'll be keeping the resonator just in case as it seemed to help drone and not sacrifice any sound on my 11 6.2 and 12 6.0. i love loud but its gotta sound good too. in saying that, it is my DD truck so loud isnt quite as concerning as my camaro lol...

Dont bother mentioning corsa BTW....too much money for no gain. they do sound good tho, ill give ya that.

thanks for your help!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

The overall muffler length is around 23-24in if I remember right.

The pipe size is just a shade under 3in, around 2.90-2.95. A 3in muffler will be the size to get.

Depending on it you removed the cats, it still might be raspy even with the small resonator or it might not be. I liked my magnaflow on my old 2006 and I have a dynomax ultra flow catback system on my 2012 which sounds good to me aswell.

It is a center/offset muffler, mine was anyway.

Last edited by FFDP; 05-12-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gutted the third cat and attached a empty piece of pipe to the y pipe.

y pipe, 1-2 feet, 90, another foot of pipe out the side in front of the tire on a single cab. no rasp, very little drone. with headers it might be a different story. its loud but nothing close to my old 99 5.3 with longtubes, no cats and duels out the back with SLP loudmouths.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I have an AFE Catback. Its pretty quiet on normal driving conditions and wakes up when you get on it. I have a link in my sig to a sound clip.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slogoat
I have an AFE Catback. Its pretty quiet on normal driving conditions and wakes up when you get on it. I have a link in my sig to a sound clip.
Nice clip. I found a local perf shop that had the right magnaflow from their catback in stock so mahnaflow it is. With the resonator it should be pretty slick. They had about every single damn flowmaster muffler in stock lol....id maybe get one without headers and with cats....but man that would be too much with my setup.

It was part # 12589 i think. Ill get some clips and pics up later seeing as i had such a ridiculous time finding any info on the new trucks anywhere....nobody even has any cam "kits" out yet. Just cams and dod deletes. Strange....like...no websites have springs or seals...nothing. wtf? How are people doing cam swaps? Anyway thats for another discussion...

Mufflers getting welded in tomorrow. Before and after to come...
Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slogoat
Love the clips. The AFE performance catback really boost the sound and power of your engine.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by forklord
Nice clip. I found a local perf shop that had the right magnaflow from their catback in stock so mahnaflow it is. With the resonator it should be pretty slick. They had about every single damn flowmaster muffler in stock lol....id maybe get one without headers and with cats....but man that would be too much with my setup.

It was part # 12589 i think. Ill get some clips and pics up later seeing as i had such a ridiculous time finding any info on the new trucks anywhere....nobody even has any cam "kits" out yet. Just cams and dod deletes. Strange....like...no websites have springs or seals...nothing. wtf? How are people doing cam swaps? Anyway thats for another discussion...

Mufflers getting welded in tomorrow. Before and after to come...
I did a Magnaflow weld in on my old Silverado and loved the sound. Looking forward to hearing it.

Originally Posted by boomer71
Love the clips. The AFE performance catback really boost the sound and power of your engine.
Thanks man, I don't think the catback did anything except sound, I think my gains were more from the headers and high flow cats.