Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Test Drive High Country 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My comparison based on 2014 5.3 vs 2014 6.2. Traction control switched off on both trucks. The 5.3 broke the tires loose with ease, the 6.2 did not. Yes, torque management could be dialed up on 6.2 to prevent drivetrain damage. I want the larger motor for acceleration rather than towing, if towing I would likely get a diesel. Nonetheless, fair comparison of both vehicles for my intended use. I just cannot see tuning a $50k truck, have drivetrain failure and warranty claim denied. My 2011 6.2 tranny failed with 60k miles and fortunately covered by warranty. Next year these trucks will likely see the 8 speed autos designed for 735 ft lb torque so may be a good reason to wait.....
Old 12-12-2013, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Yeah and the fenders are so ugly on the new trucks.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
About what I expected to hear lol. I am waiting for some max trailer 6.2's to show up on lots and have no expectations. I want tire melting torque which they claim they have but expect to experience what the OP felt. Doggy, kinda slow and not motivating enough to drop the money they want. If they do perform I hope they allow the cloth seated trucks to get the 6.2 next year like the transistion from 2009 to 2010 with the L9H.... oh and a permanent fix to shut off the traction control and stabilitrack at all speeds like the GMT900'S......
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but you CAN completely shut off T/C and stabilitrack on GMT900?
How?

Or are you referring to pulling the fuses?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mej0914
Yeah and the fenders are so ugly on the new trucks.
say what............
Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nemesis: this isn't to argue with your seat-of-the-pants impression just more info. The January '14 Motor Trend reviewed a High Country with 6.2 and said this:

"Behind the wheel, the new 6.2 is exceptionally smooth and refined, with the robust torque coming on strongly and smoothly from low speeds, and offering authoritative acceleration. We estimate a 0-60-mph time of around 6.0 seconds."

Obviously not an instrumented test, but an interesting contrasting impression. Theirs sounds more like the one that 8U drove, but also their expectations are probably different. Maybe you really did get a lemon for your test drive.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of what you find out.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but you CAN completely shut off T/C and stabilitrack on GMT900?
How?

You can at least shut it off to the point with the button it will allow the truck to slide and not go all stupid if you whip around.... or slide on a slippery road.....

The new trucks don't have this ability unless you are in 4 low or below 30 mph....... A couple guys on another site got stuck trying to climb an icy incline where the truck was spinning 4wd..... and you need speed to make it. Kind of embarrassing...

Yeah you can kill it with the fuse completely on a GMT900 but it's never totally gone with the switch. But at least on them it was livable lol.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
How?

Just hold the TC button down until it says "stabilitrak off", takes like 5 seconds
Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
say what............
Yeah square fenders for round wheels. Just don't give it that sleek look. Don't take it the wrong way by what everybody is saying it sounds like a great truck.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Nemesis: this isn't to argue with your seat-of-the-pants impression just more info. The January '14 Motor Trend reviewed a High Country with 6.2 and said this:

"Behind the wheel, the new 6.2 is exceptionally smooth and refined, with the robust torque coming on strongly and smoothly from low speeds, and offering authoritative acceleration. We estimate a 0-60-mph time of around 6.0 seconds."

Obviously not an instrumented test, but an interesting contrasting impression. Theirs sounds more like the one that 8U drove, but also their expectations are probably different. Maybe you really did get a lemon for your test drive.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of what you find out.

No problem NKPPhil, I appreciate your perspective. After some thought yesterday I believe the dealership could have put regular unleaded rather than premium 93 which likely could have been a contributor to the lack of power. I know the 5.3's are designed for regular unleaded but the 6.2's are designed for premium. I called the General Manager and let him know the issue and he said when another 6.2 lands or he runs the gas out of the one one I drove and refills with premium he will call me to come back and drive it. I'll keep everyone posted as I don't believe my test drive was indicative of what the truck should run like.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I believe the dealership could have put regular unleaded rather than premium 93 which likely could have been a contributor to the lack of power.
Very good point - squirting regular unleaded into 11.5:1 compression is probably going to make it pull a chunk of timing.

Looking forward to your next drive.

Quick Reply: Test Drive High Country 6.2